Learn from a highly regarded academic team, with commercial experience, and a record in published academic subject research. Recognised by ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW, our course develops the strategic skills required for an international accounting career.
This course is designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge demanded by employers and will give you a competitive edge in your career. If you’re the holder of a relevant degree, or equivalent qualification, it is a chance to explore advances in accounting, corporate governance, management accounting and corporate finance, while enhancing your business skills.
On completion of postgraduate certificate students are able to top up to the postgraduate diploma, and if successful at this stage students can progress to master’s. Offering a progressive journey through the awards allows our students to have a recognised qualification at each stage of their learning.
In addition, you can opt to take an integrated work placement component within the programme. The placement is undertaken after the taught portion of your programme.
Postgraduate work placement information
Each module offers a combination of practical and research-focused activities that reflect the realities of present-day accounting and finance. The modules that comprise the MSc provide technical understanding and critical analysis skills, prized by employers. On completion, you will have the skills to think strategically in many accounting and finance contexts.
- Financial Reporting Evaluate the reporting framework against ethical and international standards
- Strategic Management Accounting Evaluate and apply strategic management accounting techniques to inform an organisation’s strategic development
- Contemporary Issues in Accounting Analyse the global market place
- Corporate Accountability Explore the responsibilities of non/ corporate entities to shareholders
- Leadership through Design Develop design-centred skills and leadership to achieve financial aims
- You’ll be taught by experienced and dedicated staff who have industry knowledge, and who have published research
- Assessment includes case studies, research-focused assignments with coursework elements and examinations
Take a look at the course map for a breakdown of modules that you'll study to complete the course.
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject or a comparable level in a professional accounting qualification (eg ACCA Fundamentals level, CIMA Managerial level, ICAEW equivalent)
- If you hold a relevant accounting qualification, you may benefit from exemptions from this award, including direct entry onto the Master’s Stage Award
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component) or equivalent
|Fees - 2019/20 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study; see also the details of potential extra costs. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
Career paths include management and accounting, financial accounting and business/financial management. This course equips students with the skills required to work in a variety of specialist roles, for example as financial analysts and investment advisers. It is also a route to an academic or consultancy career via a PhD.
Meet the Lecturer
Discover more about your course by visiting the university to speak with one of our lecturers. Learn about the modules, teaching style and the modes of assessment by speaking to our experts, and get a feel for the facilities you'll be using. Visit our Meet the Lecturer page to find out more and book your place.
6 months, at maximum
Placements can be carried out in the UK or overseas. You may even wish to source your own placement in other countries.
If carrying out a placement abroad, there may be a visa requirement.
During the placement year, you will pay the placement fee of £700 for 2018/19 (£1150 for international students). Please note that you will not be charged this fee if you do not manage to secure a work placement, and international students applying for a Tier 4 visa will need to pay the non-refundable immigration health surcharge up front for both years. Financial support is also available from the Student Finance Team by contacting email@example.com.
You will have access to guidance from the Placements Team throughout your placement search, and for the duration of your placement period. You can contact the Placements Team on firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information is available.
Recognised by ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW, our course develops the strategic skills required for an international accounting career.
You will learn from a highly regarded academic team, with commercial and academic experience and a record in published academic subject research.
Investments in our teaching spaces
Study in our £18 million new business school at Oxstalls Campus.