Now is the perfect time to gain the extra qualifications and knowledge to get ahead in the UK PR and communications sector – a 2016 report by the Public Relations and Communications Association (PRCA) demonstrated that the industry is worth £12.9bn, over £3bn more than previous figures in 2013.
Learning from lecturers who have worked with the likes of WWF, HSBC and Fred Perry, you’ll develop the expertise you need to create communications campaigns across digital, social, TV and print media.
Video-making, copywriting and more are taught alongside the strategic planning skills that are needed to succeed in the modern workplace, a combination that makes this course ideally suited to ambitious young professionals keen to get ahead in their chosen career.
You will have access to facilities described by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council as among the very best in the country – our Media Centre includes professional-standard film, TV, music and news studios as well as editing suites, Mac equipment and production galleries.
As well as benefitting from our lecturers’ professional experience and contacts, you can gain insight from our large network of alumni, with former students returning for guest lectures covering many subjects including celebrity, sport, agency, and NGOs.
- Strategic communications: develop rigorous project management’s skills and explore the role of intuitive versus analytical approaches to decision making.
- Content creation: acquire the practical skills required to create content which engages and inspires action.
- Stunts, campaigns, and crises: critically reflect on the success, implementation and ethics of these mediums.
- Sports and celebrity communications: analyse the evolution and growth of social media influencers.
- Major project: undertake a public relations and/or academic project exploring an area of personal interest.
This degree is very hands-on, including a lot of practical learning supported by a strong spine of academic theory.
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject
- We will consider a comparable professional or postgraduate qualification
- Applicants without a bachelors degree but with significant industry experience in areas including, but not limited to, journalism, marketing, and teaching are encouraged to apply
- EU and international students need a minimum IELTS 6.5 overall
|Fees - 2018/19 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
- PR Executive
- Communications Executive
- Social Media Executive
- Account Manager
Our staff have professional experience in the communications industry. Lecturers have worked for top agencies such as Blue Rubicon which created #ThisGirlCan, and our list of tutors also includes the former editor of celebrity magazine, Star and the former senior communications manager at international environmental charity Earthwatch.
My 20 year career has been spent mostly in journalism - as a reporter, video journalist, news editor, and digital content manager. I have also worked as a senior communications manager for an international environmental NGO. Now I write for newspapers, websites and magazines in the journalism field and am also a bespoke content creator for commercial clients.
Gain the skills to join an industry worth £12.9bn in the UK*
*Public Relations and Communications Association (PRCA) report, 2016
Get prepared for life in agencies, in-house communications teams or as a freelancer.
Be taught by active communications professionals who have worked with some of the biggest global brands.