This course is an essential basis for school leaders who wish to understand what the academic field has to contribute to their understanding of leadership. It explains how leaders, leading and leadership have moved from obscurity to centre stage over recent years.
The purpose of the course is to develop a deep critical understanding of leadership as applied to educational settings. It is designed to explore how we lead people and organisations from multiple perspectives such as Psychology, Sociology, Management and Organisational Theory. This will allow you to consider and reflect on new ideas and critique your own practice in light of theory and research.
The teaching is through discussion, reflection and case study analysis. This interactive approach will support you in critically reflecting on your own leadership and how you apply this to the organisations and the individuals around you.
Examples of topics included:
- Exploring interactions between leadership and management
- Organisational theories and influence on leadership
- The question of values and purposes
- What can leadership approaches in the business sector tell us about leadership in education?
- Identifying leadership in your own organisation
- Recognising and using leadership theory in practice
- The role of psychology in leadership
- Evaluating the value of leadership models
- Strategy and change
- Leadership in Context
- Leading and Managing Change
- Coaching and Mentoring in Educational Organisations
- A supervised dissertation on an agreed aspect of leadership, or coaching and mentoring
The teaching is through discussion, reflection and case study analysis. Assessment is 100% by coursework.
International and expatriate students may study this programme in the countries in which they work. An agreed minimum number of students will be required.
- Applicants must satisfy two of the following three requirements
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent
- A relevant postgraduate or professional qualification in the sector
- Substantial experience in a relevant professional field
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (no less than 5.5 in any band) or equivalent.
|Fees - 2017/18 Academic Year
|Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full or part-time study. Fees can be paid in instalments over the duration of study with further details available in our tuition fee policy.
Depending on your starting point:
- Subject leader or co-ordinator
- Assistant head teacher
- Deputy or head teacher
Make an impact
This course will support the development and application of analytical thinking and is designed to ensure this makes an impact at institutional level.
Get the capabilities for leadership
Gain the knowledge and capabilities needed for informal leadership and promoted posts, including subject leader, deputy head teacher and head teacher, or senior leadership roles within local, national and international educational organisations.
Work and study abroad
International and expatriate students may study this programme in the countries in which they work (an agreed minimum number of students will be required).