The course begins with a discussion about how the term ‘inclusion’ can be interpreted. You will then explore policies and philosophies of inclusion in relation to both special educational needs and special provision, as well as to theories of social justice and equality in education.
We will consider how to evaluate and develop policy and practices in individual educational institutions, and analyse how far current educational contexts of performance and high-stakes accountability may affect developments in inclusionary thinking and practice. The programme is suitable for serving teachers at all career stages and from all sectors of education.
- Perspectives on inclusion, human rights, diversity, social justice, equity and equality
- The potential impacts of social class, gender and ethnicity on achievement and underachievement
- Debates on 'inclusion pedagogy'
- Theories of change and improvement for inclusionary practice
- Perspectives on parental involvement and pupil participation
- Meeting diverse needs of learners in the mainstream classroom
- Social, emotional and mental health needs in the mainstream classroom
- Theories and practices of behavior management
- Inclusive Education: Policy into Practice
- Research in Education
- Supervised Dissertation
Optional modules include:
- The Role of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator in a Primary School setting
- Supporting Learners (0-25 years) with Social, Emotional Health Needs
- Identifying and Supporting Learners with a Specific Learning Difficulty
Assessment is 100% by coursework
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Or a relevant postgraduate or professional qualification
- And/or appropriate work experience
- EU and international students needs IELTS 6.0 overall (no less than 5.5 in any other band) or equivalent
See the further details of tuition fees when studying a course at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Subject Leader/SENCo
- Senior leadership role with a responsibility for inclusion
- A specific responsibility for inclusive pedagogy development throughout a school group
- Teachers wanting to enhance their inclusive practice
Understand theories and practices
Gain a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of theories and practices of inclusion.
Learn about policy development and implementation
Gain a thorough knowledge of perspectives on inclusionary policy development and analysis of implementation issues.
Suitable for all teachers
The programme is suitable for serving teachers at all career stages and from all sectors of education.