Since 2002, the university has been a successful provider of an Assessment Only Route, supporting over 1,000 teachers to gain QTS.
If you’re an experienced teacher, you can achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) while working in your employing school. The Assessment Only pathway is available to unqualified teachers who have a minimum of two years full-time or aggregated part-time experience, taught in at least two schools, early years and/or further education settings. To proceed on this route, candidates must have the full support of their employer and be demonstrating strong capacity to meet the Teachers’ Standards.
We provide pre-interview guidance, a comprehensive handbook, and online and telephone support. Experienced tutors guide candidates in compiling evidence towards QTS.
- Only available to unqualified teachers with a degree. Most candidates will have a 2.2 honours degree or above
- GCSE English, maths and science at grade 4 (C) or above, or an equivalent qualification
- Minimum of two years full-time teaching experience (part-time teaching will be assessed on case by case basis)
- Ability to teach learners from diverse backgrounds, across the whole ability range and in classes of 15 pupils or more
- To have the full support of the school in which you are employed
- The latest Ofsted inspection grade must be ‘good’ or above
- Overseas-trained teachers are eligible to apply for the Assessment Only Route, as long as you have met the above criteria and have already had your qualifications checked by UK NARIC
We have a team of very experienced assessors and comprehensive specialist materials to assist your learning.
University staff will work closely with you and your school-based colleagues to support and advise you on an individual basis.
There are multiple entry points each academic year, giving you some flexibility.