You can study TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) in Cheltenham at INTO University of Gloucestershire, a British Council accredited centre.
There are a number of different courses including taster days, courses leading to the Cambridge CELTA (face to face and combined online/face to face) and a level 6 module for students studying at the University of Gloucestershire. All of these are suitable for those with little or no experience of TEFL, or for those who have some teaching experience but no formal TEFL qualification.
The Taster day is for those who are interested in TEFL and would like to find out more before committing to a longer, more expensive course. This is a 1 day course (from 9.30- 15.30) and costs £55. This is refundable if you are accepted on a CELTA course at the centre. The day includes sessions on grammar and terminology, EFL students, and advice on courses and employability.
CELTA is an internationally recognised qualification awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment. It is recognised thoughout the world by employers.
Benefits of studying with us
- Study in a real teaching environment on a university campus at a centre accredited by Cambridge English Language Assessment, The British Council and English UK
- Experienced team of trainers all employed by the centre with two of the training team recognised as CELTA Assessors who visit other CELTA centres to monitor standards
- Small class sizes (maximum 12) with high levels of support from tutors
- CELTA results consistently above national average
- Access to high quality university facilities including student Identity card, university email, wifi , teaching rooms with smartboards, computer and library resources, parking, and canteen
- Advice and support on employment opportunities (including a Jobs Board) during the courses and ongoing CV and application support after the course
- Temporary teaching opportunities may be available particularly during the summer
- 6 hours of teaching practice timetabled to allow for advice and guidance, preparation and reflection to allow for development as a teacher
- Opportunities for sessions on specialist areas such as teaching Business English, Young Learners, Advanced Learners, Beginners, Monolingual classes and Examination.
CELTA Intensive (Face to Face)
This 5 week course consists of 120 hours study. It is suitable for those who would prefer to study during the day and are able to study for a 5 week block. The sessions take place Monday to Friday (from 9.30- 17.00) and you are required to attend the whole course. Teaching practice takes place from Wednesday afternoon of week 1. You have three individual tutorials during the course to discuss progress and provide support. This course includes 6 hours of observation of live classroom lessons, taught by teaching staff working at the centre. View a sample timetable.
CELTA Online (Combined Online and Face to Face)
This flexible 13 week course consists of 100 hours of online study and 20 hours face to face in the centre. It is suitable for those who would prefer to study in their own time over a longer period and are able to attend the teaching practice evening sessions. The online materials can be studied at any time within the period set by the tutor. You are required to complete all online components and participate in interactive activities. View a sample timetable.
Teaching practice takes place two evenings a week (e.g. Tuesday and Thursday) from 18.00 to 21.00.You have one formal individual tutorial face to face during the course to discuss progress and provide support. You also have regular online tutorial support. This course includes 6 hours of observation with 3 hours of live classroom lessons, taught by teaching staff working at the centre and 3 hours of online lessons.
To study on the CELTA courses, you should
be a minimum of 18 years old before the start of the course
- have a formal qualification/standard of education which would allow entry to higher education
- have an awareness of language and competence in written and spoken English to enable them to undertake the course
In addition we must satisfy ourselves that
- the course is suitable for you in terms of experience, background and career plan
- you are able to attend /participate in the whole course
The fee for the CELTA course is £1250. There is a discount for University of Gloucestershire students.
You can find more information about these courses (including how to apply and course dates and fees) in the CELTA brochure.
See the further details of tuition fees when studying a course at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Teaching English as a foreign language overseas
- Teaching English as a foreign language on summer schools in the UK
- Teaching on a home tuition programme
- Teaching of students for whom English is a second language ( e.g. refugees)
How to Apply
To apply for any of these courses please complete the application form.
If you are applying for one of the CELTA courses , you will be asked to attend an interview session . If you are applying from overseas, we will arrange a telephone/SKYPE interview.
If you have any questions about the courses or would like to find out more information you can contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or you can telephone us on + 44 (0) 1242 714092
Or you can write to us at
INTO University of Gloucestershire
Tel : +44 (0) 1242 714092
Fax: + 44 (0) 1242 714425
Obtain an internationally recognised qualification in TEFL
Study at a British Council Accredited Centre