Benefit from expert and research-active supervisors who have expertise in policy and planning for the countryside and the environment in the UK, Europe and world-wide. Current research areas include: heritage, landscape and rural development; economy and society; food, farming and agri-environment; sustainable environments and governance.Immerse yourself in the CCRI’s stimulating, supportive and vibrant research community with a strong professional life, which you are encouraged to interact with through writing groups, seminars and workshops.
As an MPhil or MRes student, you will critically evaluate an approved subject. Make a significant and independent contribution to knowledge in the sector, and demonstrate an understanding of research methods through a thesis and coursework. As a PhD student, you will make an independent and original contribution to knowledge.
An MPhil or PhD will open the door to work in full-time research, management posts in rural and environmental organisations, or to careers in local authorities or government agencies concerned with rural issues.
- MPhil: you will need at least a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area
- PhD: you will need a Masters degree or equivalent, in a subject area relevant to the proposed research topic
- We normally consider applications from candidates from different backgrounds who demonstrate appropriate research experience and achievement
- International students need IELTS 6.5 overall (no less than 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in any other band) or equivalent .
See the further details of tuition fees when studying a course at the University of Gloucestershire.
Dr. Malcolm MacLean
Reader in the Culture and History of Sport
"Malcolm's teaching and research interests are based on his background in history and anthropology. He is interested in ordinary experiences of cultural and social life and also has a particular interest in research design and ethics. He is also research degree's lead for the Schools of Sport & Exercise, Natural & Social Sciences and Health & Social Care."
- MacLean, Malcolm (2017-09-27) Book Review: ESPN: the making of a sports media empire by Travis Vogan, Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 2015, x + 242pp., £13.99 (paperback) ISBN 978-0-131-08122-4. Sport in History, 37 (3), pp.388-390. ISSN 1746-0271.
- Huang, Yuanfan and Ryall, Emily S (2017-09-04) On the relationship between philosophy and game-playing, pp.80-93. ISBN 9781138210875.
- View more publications
Opportunities to do studentships with partner organisations
Strengthen your learning and experience, working on a research project with an external organisation. Studentships are sometimes built into research projects. Where this is the case, they will be advertised via the university, the Guardian and on jobs.ac.uk.
Join one of the largest rural research units in the UK
Benefit from expert and research-active supervisors whose research has had a strong impact in the sector. Access influential contacts and gain opportunities with prestigious rural and environmental organisations.