Institute of Education and Public Services
BA (Honours) Degree
We are now offering Early Years Initial Teacher Training for September 2014 entry (subject to future contracts for September 2015 entry) alongside Early Childhood Studies.
If you enjoy working with young children, their families and communities then this course gives you a sound academic and professional base on which to build. The course gives you everything you need to prepare for a rapidly expanding employment market which demands flexibility, competence and knowledge.
You’ll develop skills which are transferable across different occupational boundaries. Time and opportunity is given to explore all aspects of the development and care of children in the 21st century, including the theory and practice of child development, children within society, early years’ legislation, contemporary childhood and also to think about roles working within a setting and inter-agency teams.
Throughout the course there’s a strong emphasis on the development of ICT, collaborative and presentational skills. Each year includes a placement in an early years setting.
- Psychology of Childhood
- Sociology of Childhood
- Special Educational Needs: Listening to Children
- Promoting Children's Well-being
- Promoting Children as Competent Learners
- The Creative and Thinking Child
- Lifelong Learning
- Early Childhood: Contemporary Issues
- Health for Life
- gaining of Child Protection, First Aid and Common Assessment Framework certificates
- placements are compulsory twice a year at year one and two and once a year for a longer block at year three
- optional trip to a European country to observe practice
- can lead to Early Years Professional Status
- manager of an early years setting
- family support worker
How will the course be assessed?
Coursework, presentations, projects, displays, electronic discussions and electronic assignments.
3 year full-time X312
260 UCAS tariff points with typical offers:
• A-level: grades BCC or equivalent
• IB Diploma: 24 points
• BTEC National Diploma: DMM
GCSE English Language and Maths Grade C or above (or equivalent qualification)
Professional contacts/industry links
With early years settings, children centres and schools within Gloucestershire and local museums, art galleries and theatres.
Recent guest lecturers/speakers
- Children Centre Manager
- Child Protection Officer
- Museum and Art Gallery Outreach workers
- Play Therapists
Full-time and part-time
Francis Close Hall
Associated professional accreditations
Early Years Professional Status