Please note, this course is not recruiting for 2019 starts, but you can apply now to start in 2020.
Delivered by experienced and professionally qualified tutors, this course supports you in undertaking postgraduate research. The taught modules will provide a foundation for undertaking independent in depth and critical legal analysis in your chosen area of research.
Postgraduate legal research is not just for lawyers or those already in a legal setting – this course will develop and improve your theoretical and practical understanding. You may be relatively new at practising law, looking to enhance your CV, or you might simply have an interest in the subject. This degree will give you advanced critical awareness of current legal issues.
Students can also work with our Law Clinic, offering free legal advice to members of the public. We have excellent links with local law firms and barristers’ chambers who attend the university on a regular basis to give presentations. Willans Solicitors, a leading South West law firm based in Cheltenham, is sponsoring a prize for the best LLM graduate.
- Research Methods: Become equipped with the skills and understanding of methods of legal research.
- Current Issues in Law: Analyse contemporary issues to underpin informed discussion.
- Theories and Philosophies of Legal Research: Develop a working understanding of theories and philosophies of law to be able to justify your own philosophical position, its implications, methodologies and the foundations of your legal research.
- Legal Research Design Project: With support, explore and design your research project. Develop your project with reference to current literature, the socio-economic context and your ideas.
- You will need at least a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent
- Your application should include a strong reference
- International students need IELTS 6.5 overall (no less than 6.0 in any band) or equivalent
|Fees - 2019/20 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study; see also the details of potential extra costs. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
- Business Management
- Local Authority
- Advocate for charities
- Humanitarian work
Tailor your degree to your specialist area of interest This flexible course is centred around your area of interest, allowing you to develop your knowledge and research skills in a legal subject of your choosing.
Critically assess current affairs and contemporary legal issues Taught by experienced legal professionals with strong connections, you will gain a theoretical and critical knowledge of current legal issues.
Apply your skills through the Law Clinic, Client Interviewing and Mooting CompetitionsAs well getting to use our mooting and client interviewing facilities in our brand new School of Business and Technology at Oxstalls (opening 2018), you can also get involved with our innovative law clinic, offering free legal advice to members of the public.