This course presents opportunities for professionals currently working in, or aspiring to work in, a physical education or school sports setting to develop expertise and knowledge to enhance their teaching practice.
Physical education is key to developing in children a lifelong engagement with sport and physical activity, encouraging them to enjoy the many benefits that come from an active lifestyle, such as increased motivation, confidence and fitness levels. On this course, you will work with fellow practitioners using cutting-edge expertise and research to enhance your skills and knowledge and to develop your own teaching practices.
You will be supported by experienced teachers and active researchers in fields such as the creation of effective learning environments, health literacy, physical literacy and teaching models. You will also benefit from expert guest lecturers, and will gain an interdisciplinary understanding of physical education and school sport, by working alongside students studying subjects such as coaching, sports therapy and strength and conditioning.
You can also enjoy state-of-the-art teaching facilities, including our brand new international-standard sports hall, and use innovative technologies such as IRIS Connect to record, observe and analyse your teaching practices.
- Contemporary Issues in Physical Education - Critique current research to identify issues impacting physical education and school sport
- Pedagogical Practice in Physical Education - Explore a range of teaching and learning strategies
- Work-based project - Engage in a project that addresses personal and professional goals and allows for an enhanced understanding of the relevant professional setting
- Personal and Professional Development - Explore conceptual frameworks for personal and professional development. This module focuses on the reflective practice that determines outstanding practice in professional settings
- Independent project - Conduct a sustained and independent investigation into a chosen area of study to deepen knowledge and understanding around a specific topic
Full-Time 18 months or 2 years (dependent on when students start their dissertation)
Part-Time 3 years
- Study takes place in workshops, where students are encouraged to share ideas and experiences
- Assessments, including written assignments, research projects, presentations and reflective writing, allow students to relate theory to their own practice. Students will be encouraged to engage in research within their own teaching context
Take a look at the course map for a breakdown of modules that you'll study to complete the course.
- At least a 2.2 honours degree in a physical education course or relevant subject
- Some experience in a physical education and/or school sport setting working with children and young adults over five years old
- Applicants may be invited for interview
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component) or equivalent
- DBS clearance is required
|Fees - 2020/21 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study; see also the details of potential extra costs. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
- Director of sport in the school or further education sector
- Supporting progression to university lecturer posts
Meet the Lecturer
Discover more about your course by visiting the university to speak with one of our lecturers. Learn about the modules, teaching style and the modes of assessment by speaking to our experts, and get a feel for the facilities you'll be using. Visit our Meet the Lecturer page to find out more and book your place.
I am a reflective practitioner, and my experience of both teaching and coaching young people has enabled my interest in the sociology of education to flourish. I am currently focusing my research attention on economic determinism and the hidden curriculum.
State of the art facilities
Enjoy our first-class teaching facilities, including our brand new international standard sports hall, and use innovative technologies such as IRIS Connect to record, observe and analyse your teaching practices.
Build your career plan
With support from experienced staff who are active researchers in key fields such as the creation of productive learning environments, health literacy, physical literacy and effective teaching models.
Access to experts
Grow your professional network with our programme of expert guest lecturers, who will share their knowledge and all the very latest thinking and teaching practices.