This module aims to provide professional development for health professionals working in practice settings who support the learning and assessment of students within the workplace.
Principles of teaching, learning and assessment will be explored in depth and applied to the clinical setting. The knowledge, skills and competence gained on this module will enable practitioners to engage in mentorship, supervision and coaching of students to facilitate their learning and development and assess them effectively within the workplace. Where appropriate, the programme will reflect the requirements of professional regulatory bodies.
Successful completion of the level 7 module will enable mentors to be included on the live register of mentors in their local NHS trust/employing organisation. Nursing and midwifery students will be required to meet the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) mentor preparation standards for learning and assessment in practice.
Topics covered include:
- The Effective Learning Environment and Factors Influencing Learning
- Setting and Monitoring of Realistic Learning Objectives and Establishing Developmental Plans
- Developing and Delivering Teaching and Learning Activities in the Clinical Environment
- Supervising Students and providing them with Developmental Feedback
- Applying rigorous principles and judgement based on evidence in the assessment of performance in the practice setting
Teaching and assessment
- Academic portfolio documenting development as a mentor/coach
- Two practice-based assessments designed to specifically develop coaching and group teaching skills
- Written academic assignment discussing development as a mentor
Take a look at the course map for a breakdown of modules that you'll study to complete the course.
- Students need to be a registered nurse and/or midwife on either Part 1 or Part 2 of the NMC register
- Students should have evidence of having developed their own knowledge, skills and competence beyond registration
- Students require a first degree in a health-related subject and an enhanced DBS
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component) or equivalent
Successful completion of the level 7 module will enable mentors to be included on the live register of mentors in their local NHS trust/ employing organisation.
You will be able to proactively support students from a range of professional and vocational areas in the clinical setting.
Develop the knowledge, skills and competence to engage in mentorship, supervision and coaching of students to facilitate their learning, development and assessment.