Skip to content
Chevron pattern Chevron alternate pattern

International students

Applying for a Student visa from inside the UK – FAQs

Last updated: 17 February 2021

1) How do I submit my Student visa application?

Please see our step-by-step guide to applying for a Student visa inside the UK.

2) When should I submit my Student visa application?

You should submit your application within the last three months of your current immigration permission, and no later than the date your current immigration permission expires.

In addition, please note that, if you have applied for a new course of study and currently have a Student (or Tier 4) visa under another institution’s sponsorship, you will not be permitted to start the course until you have submitted a fresh visa application under the University of Gloucestershire’s sponsorship.  Applications to switch to the University of Gloucestershire cannot be submitted any earlier than one month before the scheduled start date of the course.

3) Can I submit a Student visa application if I have over-stayed my visa?

The university does not issue CAS to students who have over-stayed their visa. If you have become an over-stayer, you will need to supply us with proof that you have left the UK before we can consider issuing you with a CAS.

4) My current visa expires more than 28 days before the start date of my course – can I submit an application inside the UK?

No. To be eligible to submit an application inside the UK, the gap between the date your current visa expires and the start date of your course must be no greater than 28 days. If the gap is greater than 28 days, the university will withhold issuance of a CAS until it has received proof that you have left the UK.

5) Can I switch into the Student route from another immigration category?

You are permitted to switch into the Student route provided you do not currently have permission to stay in any of the following categories:

6)  How much will my Tier 4 application cost?

For the most up-to-date information on fees, please see GOV.UK Student visa pages.

Please also note the requirement to pay an additional charge for healthcare, known as the immigration health surcharge.  For further information about this fee, see the relevant GOV.UK page.

7)  How do I pay for my application?

Payment must be made as part of the on-line application process using a debit or credit card.

8)  What supporting documents do I need to submit with my visa application?

The precise documents required will depend on your particular circumstances, but you are likely to have to submit a combination of the following:

9)  Do I need to submit academic documents with my visa application?

If your course is at undergraduate level (i.e. RQF Level 6) or above, or if you are a national of an exempt country, you do not need to submit any academic documents with your visa application.

10)  Am I required to submit evidence of funds with my visa application?

If you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months (as of date of application), you are not required to submit any evidence of funds with your visa application.

Additionally, if you are a national of an exempt country, you are not required to submit any evidence of funds with your application.  Please be aware, however, that UKVI caseworkers are permitted to request evidence of funds from nationals of exempt countries post-submission.  For this reason, we recommend that nationals of exempt countries prepare evidence of funds in exactly the same way as students from countries that are not exempt.

11)  I have been in the UK for less than 12 months – what are the required funds?

If you have been in the UK for less than 12 months (as of date of application), you must show that you have sufficient funds to pay for:


12)  I have pre-paid for halls of residence accommodation – can I show a lower amount of funds?

If you have pre-paid for halls of residence accommodation, you are permitted to deduct a maximum of £1265 from the living costs element of your funds.


13)  I have been in the UK for less than 12 months – what documents should I submit as evidence of funds?

If you have been in the UK for less than 12 months (as of date of application), you will need to supply evidence in one of the following formats: cash funds in a bank or building society account, a loan in your name, or official financial sponsorship.

Cash funds in a bank or building society account

Funds may be held in any form of personal bank or building society account (including current, deposit, savings, pension from which the funds can be withdrawn or an investment account) provided the account allows the funds to be accessed immediately.   Funds held in other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, credit cards, pensions from which the funds cannot be withdrawn immediately, regardless of notice period, will not be accepted.

You will need to provide an official statement of account showing the funds have been held for a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your visa application. The statement must show:

If you are using overseas currency, please be advised that UKVI will expect you to write on the document the closing balance in GBP, calculated using the OANDA website.

Please note that a Certificate of Deposit can be accepted by UKVI provided it meets both the following requirements:

  • The certificate of deposit has been issued within 31 days of the date of application
  • At least 28 days have elapsed between the date of the deposit and the date of issue of the certificate

Where an account is in a parent or legal guardian’s name, there is a requirement to submit two additional documents:

– A legal document confirming your relationship to your parent – this would be your birth certificate, certificate of adoption, or court document naming the legal guardian (please note: a Chinese “Household Register” is also accepted by UKVI); and

– A letter written by your parent or legal guardian confirming their relationship with you and giving their consent to you using the money in their account to study in the UK. Use the link below to view a template.

A loan in your name

If you are relying on a loan to fund your studies, you must provide a letter from a financial institution (regulated by your country’s home regulator) confirming the loan. The letter must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your visa application and must show:

Please note: loans held in a parent or legal guardian’s name are not acceptable. The loan must be in your name!

Official financial sponsorship

UKVI define official financial sponsorship as money given to a student to cover some or all of their course fees and/or living costs, by one of the following organisations: the UK government; the student’s country’s government; the British Council; any international organisation, international company or University.  If you are in receipt of sponsorship from one of these organisations, you need to provide a letter from your sponsor in support of your visa application.  The letter must be on official letter-headed paper and must have the official stamp of the sponsoring organisation on it.  The letter must show:

Please note that:

–  If your sponsor letter only confirms that some of your fees and/or living costs are covered, you will need to provide additional evidence to confirm you hold the rest of the money required e.g. personal bank statements;

– If your sponsorship covers all your tuition fees and living costs, but your sponsor limits the time that you may study in the UK, UKVI will take the date on the sponsorship letter as the course end-date for visa purposes, irrespective of the actual course end-date stated on your CAS.

For more detailed guidance regarding what types of document are acceptable, please see our Guide to Student Route Financial Requirements.

14)  I am required to submit evidence of funds, but do not have a financial document that meets UKVI criteria – can I submit an application anyway, at my own risk?

No.  The university will not issue a CAS unless you can supply a financial document that meets UKVI criteria.

15)  Do I need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate?

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is designed to ensure that those applying for postgraduate study in certain sensitive subject areas do not acquire knowledge that could potentially be used in Weapons of Mass Destruction programmes. Very few courses at the university will require clearance under this scheme, but if you are required to obtain an ATAS certificate, this will be flagged during the Admissions process.  To learn more about applying for ATAS clearance, and for more detailed information about which types of study and subject areas are affected, please see the relevant GOV.UK page.  Please note: it can take several weeks to obtain an ATAS certificate, so it is important that you apply well before submitting your visa application.

Yes.  The letter needs to be signed by your parent(s), and must confirm:

17)  Do my supporting documents have to be in English?

Yes.  Where an original document (e.g. bank statement, birth certificate) is not in English, it must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. This translation must include details of the translator/translation company’s credentials, confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document, and the translator/translation company’s contact details. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company.

18)  I have made a further payment to the university after receiving my CAS Statement. Will my CAS automatically be updated?

No.  If you make a further fee payment after you have been issued with a CAS Statement, you need to send an email notification to We will then check with the university’s fees department that the money has been received and amend your CAS accordingly.

Please note: it is your responsibility to ensure the CAS is up to date prior to applying for a visa. The university cannot accept responsibility for any visa refusals that result from CAS not being up to date.

19)  I have been issued a CAS that covers a Pre-sessional course only. Will the university help me to extend my visa inside the UK upon successful completion of the Pre-sessional?

Yes. We will run a series of workshops during and following your Pre-sessional course to guide you through the visa extension process.

20)  When will my new visa expire?

This depends on the type and length of your course:

21)  Can my dependants submit visa applications at the same time as me?

Your dependants can submit applications to extend their visas at the same time as you only if:

– Your permission is current or expired no more than three months before this extension application AND

– Your extension application is for a course over six months long AND

– Your dependants already have Tier 4 dependant or “student” dependant leave AND

– You apply for an extension of your visa at the same time as your dependant

22)  What documents do my dependants need to submit?

The precise documents required will depend on your dependants’ particular circumstances, but they are likely to have to submit some or all of the following:

23)  How much will my dependants’ applications cost?

For the most up-to-date fees, please see the GOV.UK Student visa pages.

24)  My dependant has been in the UK for less than 12 months – how much money do they have to show for living costs?

If your dependant has been in the UK for less than 12 months, they are required to show £680 for each month of immigration permission that you have been granted (if they are applying after you have received your visa) or will be granted (if they are applying at the same time as you).  This is up to a maximum of 9 months, i.e. £6120.  Please note that this requirement to evidence funds presently applies even if your dependant is from an exempt country.

25)  Where can I find further information about applying for a Student visa inside the UK?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has produced a detailed guide to making a Student visa application.  This guide includes information about all aspects of the visa application process, and includes links to many other useful publications.

Was this article helpful?