The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) has been designed to support you in developing your higher education teaching practice. It provides an opportunity to reflect upon your role in higher education in the company of others facing similar challenges.
The PGCAP will provide you with the opportunity to explore the latest teaching practices in higher education and how these are applicable in your own context. The PGCAP will actively support you to develop your own philosophical position and establish your own style that is honed by the demands of the subject, the learning needs of your students and the constraints of the learning environment.
The course will also support you in developing your ability to reflect critically on your practice, drawing on theory as well as feedback from others -including your students. The emphasis of the course is on the on-going development of your practice.
Modules The course comprises two 30 credit modules:
- Academic Practice: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Academic Practice: Learning Environments in Higher Education
Assessment is 100% by coursework. From January 2018, the PGCAP will also be offered as a Higher Apprenticeship, where assessment methods are likely to include:
- Observations of your teaching/supporting learning practice
- Reflective narrative of your practice, including an action plan
- An end-of-course presentation
- GSCE grade C or above in Maths and English
- A good honours degree or similar professional qualification
- A teaching role in higher education (of at least 40 hours' teaching over the duration of the course)
|Fees - 2017/18 Academic Year
|Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full or part-time study. Fees can be paid in instalments over the duration of study with further details available in our tuition fee policy.
- Lecturer in higher education institutions
- Librarian working with higher education students
- Lecturer teaching higher education students in a further education context
Higher Education Academy Fellowship
Gain the nationally recognised Higher Education Academy Fellowship either via your institution, or via direct application following the course.
Enhance your curriculum design skills
Learn about curriculum design and development, teaching, learning support, assessment and evaluation in higher education in order to enhance the student learning experience.
Gain experience in professional development planning
Design and implement a professional development plan in academic practice