University of Gloucestershire is a diverse, vibrant community of 12,000 students and 1,500 staff with campuses in Cheltenham and Gloucester. Our teaching dates back to 1847; we’ve come a long way since then and have exciting plans for the future.
Founded on values, centred on students, focused on learning.
Jump to: Our vision | Our values | Our goals and thematic ambitions | Our achievements
Changing your world, so you can change ours.
We transform the lives of our students so they are ready to be a force for good in the world.
We make our community and our world a better place.
We are leaders and pioneers for sustainability.
As individuals and a community we act honestly and openly, upholding fundamental academic and ethical values, promoting the standards of public service, and working towards the good of others.
We act with compassion. We are inclusive and treat everyone equally and with respect. We recognise the unique value and worth of every individual, and their contribution to our community. We cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive, feel they belong, and do their best work.
We encourage and inspire ourselves and every individual in our community to be the best they can be. We aim for excellence in everything we do. We nurture aspirations, and pursue opportunities to transform and influence society for the better.
We encourage questioning, open debate, and freedom of speech and inquiry. We embrace creativity, enterprise and innovation to bring about positive change. We want our students, our staff, and everyone with whom we engage to be passionate and enthusiastic about creating, gaining, sharing and applying new knowledge, insight and experience, enriching their own understanding and benefiting others.
We are committed to reducing our own environmental footprint and to protecting the wellbeing and viability of our community and the wider world by promoting the knowledge, skills, behaviours and commitments that will safeguard our collective future.
Strategic Plan 2022-27: Our goals and thematic ambitions
Our strategic plan 2022-27 is focused around five goals, supported by four thematic ambitions. These ambitions are not outcomes in themselves, but are the threads that inform and guide everything that we do, making up our University’s distinctive identity and character. Read the full version of our Strategic Plan 2022-27.
- Education – to support our students, in the UK and overseas, to learn well by providing an outstanding education
- Student Life – to support our students to thrive and flourish
- Student Outcomes – to support our students to achieve their full potential in their careers and their lives
- Research, Innovation and Enterprise – to undertake excellent research and encourage innovation and enterprise for students, staff and partners
- Civic Role – to promote the wellbeing and advancement of our community
Our thematic ambitions
- Belonging: We aspire to be a community which values positive human relationships in everything we do.
- Connected: Across the range of our activities, we aim to be outward looking, externally engaged and connected, working with partners for mutual benefit.
- Global: At University of Gloucestershire, we aim to provide a welcoming and supportive community for our international students, who help to create a rich, diverse, globally-aware environment for all our students.
- Sustainability: For many years, we have been a leading university in the UK for sustainability. We have integrated sustainability across all aspects of our operations, including the curriculum and research, as well as management of our estate.
Find out more about our achievements below from our 2017-2022 Strategic Plan.
Our next strategic plan builds on a track record of success for University of Gloucestershire. We are proud of the progress we have made in achieving the goals of our previous Strategic Plan for the period 2017-22. These include:
Enrolled 18,961 new students…
including 2,920 in Nursing and Allied Health.
17,618 students have graduated with first and higher degrees.
More than 3,000 student work placements and internships each year…
95% of our graduates going into employment or further study within 6 months of graduating
Ranked 16th in the UK for graduates in employment after 5 years.
Our Growth Hub has supported more than 8,000 businesses & turnover growth of £398 Million across Gloucestershire*
Increased our STEM course offer to 40% of our portfolio.
£91 Million invested in teaching, learning and living spaces, including a new Gloucestershire Business School, and the purchase of the Debenhams building in Gloucester to create a new City Campus.
The UK’s most sustainable University.
(People and Planet League, 2019)
Committed to net zero by 2030.
One of the first 32 Universities to sign up for the Student Minds Mental Health Charter.
Doubled the size and range of our research for Research Excellence Framework 2021.
700 apprentices on 19 programmes.
12 courses with a 100% Satisfaction rating.
Our students rank us better than other universities for academic support, learning community, careers, welfare and employability (NSS).
Won a Small Business Charter accreditation.
If you have any questions get in touch or you can discover our courses using the course finder below.