Skip to content


Rent a room in a private home from our approved list.

​​​​​​​​​​What are lodgings?

With university approved lodgings you can rent a room in a private home where the owner lives in the same property.

Each year we provide information on bedrooms available in private homes that are available to rent without a fixed term or a tenancy agreement – this means you can stay for as long as you need (as agreed with your landlord).

You will live in the same home as your landlord, and there are often a variety of flexible options available. Lodgings offer students flexibility, and can often be quieter than other types of student accommodation.

You can view university-approved lodgings on StudentPad.

If you’re a landlord and wish to add your property to our list of approved housing, view our information for landlords​.

Four students walking down road in Cheltenham smiling and laughing.

Are lodgings suitable for me?

Lodgings are a popular choice for mature or international students, and those studying short courses due to the level of flexibility they offer.

Compare all accommodation types to decide which will be best for you.

How much do lodgings cost?

Lodgings vary in cost, but you can expect to pay £70 – £100 a week depending on which catering option you choose, and any other benefits that may be included. Many lodgings offer a choice of catering options including self-catering or bed and breakfast.​

Any basic household bills including electric, gas, water and internet should be included within your rent, but you may have to pay extra for certain benefits.

Most landlords will ask for a deposit, which can be between one week and one month’s rent. You will also be expected to give reasonable notice (up to one month) if you wish to move out.

What facilities can I use?

You will have your own private bedroom where you can study and relax. Rooms will usually include a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, chest of drawers and shelves, and some rooms may also be suitable for couples of small families.

You should also be able to use the kitchen, and you may have use of other areas of the property, such as the living room, driveway, garage or shed.

Please check the details of the lodging and speak to the landlord to find out exactly what is included.

What to do next

If you’re interested in applying to stay in university approved lodgings then you can use Student​Pad to find rooms that are available near our campuses in Cheltenham and Gloucester.

When using studentpad, make sure that you set ‘Living arrangement’ to ‘Lodgings’​ when refining your search.

Please be aware that the accommodation team does not view or inspect these rooms, however we do ask for a copy of a valid gas certificate for each property.


You can get in touch with the accommodation team using the options below​.​


01242 714544

Lines open Monday to Thursday: 9am – 5pm, Friday 9am – 4pm


We’ll get back to you as soon as we can within office hours