As part of the MA in Creative and Critical Writing, you will work with practicing and published writers to hone your craft and concentrate on your specific genre. Our staff will help you to develop your own distinctive voice and will advise on possible avenues to publication. Modules with a more academic focus allow you to engage with literary theory and academic studies of influential writers’ work.
This highly successful MA in Creative and Critical Writing was one of the first in the UK to offer modules dedicated to the theory and practice of teaching creative writing, and the theoretical and practical analysis of the creative process. These options complement the creative and critical strands of the degree and offer you the chance to become a writer prepared for the modern professional arenas in which you may find yourself.
There are opportunities to attend The Times and The Sunday Times Cheltenham Literature Festival, Ledbury Poetry Festival, and Hay Festival of Literature and the Arts. There are monthly public open readings, and there is a vibrant cultural life in Cheltenham and the surrounding county.
- Creative Projects
- Teaching Creative Writing
- Critical Writing
- Creative Commissions and Proposals
Assessment is through Coursework and presentations.
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent
- You will be required to submit a portfolio
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (no less than 5.5 in any band) or equivalent
|Fees - 2017/18 Academic Year
|Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full or part-time study. Fees can be paid in instalments over the duration of study with further details available in our tuition fee policy.
- Writer - many of our students have gone on to successfully publish in journal and book form
- Editor - a number of our graduates now work in publishing and on journals in an editorial role
- Teacher of creative writing - several of our students have gone on to teach, or have enhanced their own practice.
Taught by practising published writers
Learn from published writers who have developed successful careers, in a range of genres.
A trailblazing MA
Our MA in Creative and Critical Writing was one of the first in the UK to offer modules dedicated to the theory and practice of teaching creative writing, and the theoretical and practical analysis of the creative process.
Complement your studies with immersive experiences
There are opportunities to attend the Cheltenham International Literature Festival, Ledbury Poetry Festival and The Hay Festival to complement your learning from academic modules.