If you’re looking for a lifelong, challenging and exciting career, teaching may be for you. We were rated Outstanding in our most recent OFSTED inspection (2015/16) and we offer our students an exceptional training experience.
Strong collaboration between outstanding professionals across the university and our partnership promotes inspirational research-informed training for aspirational teachers. Our highly professional trainees take responsibility for their own learning and make an immediate impact on pupil progress. We want all of our trainees to make a significant contribution to children’s lives and to feel enriched by successful careers in teaching.
Our PGCE Primary Teacher Education course aims to prepare you for entry into the teaching profession, developing your expertise in teaching children aged either 3–7 years or 5–11 years.
There are two awards: Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Certificate in Education, depending on attainment in the academic aspects of the course. Both awards include recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for successful candidates.
This PGCE gives a high priority to school-based learning and to developing your analysis, evaluation and autonomous learning and development skills. We work with a range of primary schools and early years settings, enabling us to place trainees in at least two different schools throughout the course of training.
- Professional Studies Support your professional development by gaining critical understanding of contemporary issues in education
- Core Subjects Develop your subject knowledge in English, maths and science
- Foundation Subjects Develop your subject knowledge in a full range of National Curriculum foundation subject areas
- School placements are assessed through the scrutiny of evidence by students, school staff and university tutors
- Professional development and subject knowledge are also assessed through written assignments
Take a look at the course map for a breakdown of modules that you'll study to complete the course.
- A 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject
- A minimum grade 4 (C) in GCSE English language, maths and science
- Successful completion of the professional skills tests in English and maths
- All applications should be made through UCAS www.ucas.com
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component) or equivalent
|Fees - 2018/19 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
|UCAS codes available for this subject|
|PGCE - 1 year full-time|
Teacher Training PGCE 5-11
|PGCE - 1 year full-time|
Teacher Training PGCE 3-7
Primary school teaching, which may lead to subject leadership and the opportunity to progress to roles in the senior leadership team of a school. Others progress on to further study, to achieve a postgraduate diploma or MA.
A high quality, ‘gold-standard’ route
The PGCE is the ‘gold –standard’ route to qualified teacher status. The course was judged to be 'Outstanding' by Ofsted (2015) and our course achieved 97% overall satisfaction (PTES, 2017).
Opportunities to specialise
Enhance your skills through our enhancement placement with a self-chosen focus, allowing you to develop your experience in areas that interest you.
Gain 60 masters level credits
This course gives students the opportunity to gain 60 masters-level credits, with clear progression onto the MA programme. This means there is a defined pathway for those looking to develop their knowledge further.