The University has grown into a diverse, vibrant community of 12,000 students and 1,600 staff with a strong teaching heritage stretching back nearly 200 years. With campuses in the beautiful spa town of Cheltenham and cathedral city of Gloucester, we offer our students a specialised and dynamic place to learn, grow and make lasting connections.
The University of Gloucestershire's priority is to provide excellent teaching, with a mission to enable our students to achieve their full potential through a rich and broad experience. We pride ourselves on building close relationships between students and staff, and on serving our wider community through promoting its economic, cultural and social wellbeing.
Some quick facts about the University – read more on our website:
- The University carries a Silver rating in the Government's Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), which rates participating universities as Gold, Silver or Bronze.
- We are ranked 38th out of 132 for teaching quality and 44th out of 132 for overall student experience (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).
- 95% of our graduates went on to employment or further study in 2017, which is higher than the UK and England sector average (Destination of Leavers in Higher Education data 2018).
- Graduates from our Business School courses earn more on average than their peers graduating from similar courses elsewhere in the country 1, 3 and 5 years after they graduated (Longitudinal Educational Outcomes, 2018).
- We are top 10 in the UK for high quality staff and lecturers as well as good personal relationships with teaching staff (Times Higher Education Student Experience survey 2018).
- Our overall satisfaction score is 3% higher than the average at 86% ranking us in joint 36th place out of 156 universities and HE colleges in the UK, above most Russell Group institutions (National Student Survey, 2018)
- We are equal 55th out of 121 universities in the Guardian University Guide 2019.
We are passionate about what we do and want you to be, too. In return we offer an excellent package of benefits. Here are some of the highlights:
Competitive salary and pension schemes
We offer competitive salaries and career average pension schemes.
Generous holiday entitlement
A minimum of 24 days annual leave. Staff at grade 7 to 11 are entitled to 37 days annual leave a year; Staff at Grade 12 and above are entitled to 32 days annual leave a year. All staff are entitled to eight days statutory holiday and an additional three days leave.
Flexible and family-friendly working
The university is committed to supporting flexible working arrangements (subject to business need) in order to recognise personal circumstances. Options for flexible working include job sharing, working from home and career breaks, as well as family-friendly schemes supporting maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, parental leave and special leave for emergencies.
Staff learning and development
We invest significantly in staff development across all schools and departments and provide centrally funded collective leadership and management development. We fund 100% of fees for University of Gloucestershire job-related courses (25% for non-job-related courses) and normally fund 100% of job-related external courses. Every member of staff is entitled to a minimum of three days per year for development activity and the University subsidises up to £100 of each member of staff's work related professional membership fees.
Health and wellbeing
We have an on-site faith space and chaplaincy, sports facilities, an occupational health service and an Employee Assistance Programme. The University has achieved commitment under the Public Health England Wellbeing at Work Charter and are committed to continuous improvement.
Staff travel schemes
We encourage all staff and students to walk, cycle or use public transport. However, there is car parking at each of the University's site and charges are competitive. There is also a car share scheme and an excellent inter-site bus service. We offer an interest-free loan to purchase a bicycle for the purpose of travelling to and from work as a tax-free benefit in kind.
University staff are offered discounts by companies wishing to offer their products and services.
Access to library facilities
Staff are able to access our library facilities.
We offer an excellent package of benefits to staff and we are dedicated to recruiting and retaining the highest quality staff.
If you have any queries please get in touch with the human resources team:
+44 (0)1242 714111