Up to 50% off rail travel to university open days with GWR
If you travel to University of Gloucestershire open days by train, you can benefit from 20% off return advance purchase tickets for journeys to Cheltenham Spa or Gloucester through Great Western Railway (GWR).
Please be aware that this offer is only available on return tickets for services provided by GWR, and does not include open returns or Cross Country services.
This discount can be increased to 50% with a 16-25 railcard.
Get 10% off rail travel to university open days with Transport for Wales
You can book discounted rail tickets to attend our Saturday 9 November open day if you're using a TfW service for all or part of your journey to Cheltenham Spa or Gloucester, any time between Friday 8 and Sunday 10 November.
To receive the discount, you'll need to book your tickets through the Transport for Wales Business Travel Team. You can call them on
02920 720515 between
8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday. Payment can be made via credit or debit card over the phone.
Frequently asked questions - GWR discount
What is an ‘Advanced Purchase Ticket’?
‘Advance Purchase’ refers to a ticket that can be purchased up to 18:00hrs (6pm) the day before travel, subject to availability. Once purchased, it is non-flexible (ie. unable to change times or dates travel) and non-refundable.
I cannot see the discounted fare.
Make sure that you have selected a GWR service, as this offer is not valid on Cross Country services. ‘Advance Purchase’ for the student fare is denoted by a small cross against the ticket price. If there is no red cross shown, then the ‘Advance purchase fare for that day may have sold out. Once the discounted fare has been chosen an asterisk ‘*’ will be displayed beneath the fares section.
The link to the booking page does not work. Where can I get assistance?
You may need to update your internet browser, we advise using Google Chrome or Firefox. There may be a need to clear your ‘cookies’.
I cannot see the promotional fare.
Travel is only available on GWR routes, check the entirety of the journey is on GWR. Please also check the booking horizon. Sales open for Advance Purchase 12 weeks before travel.
I still cannot see or book the student discount fare.
Please call the GWR call centre for advice on 0345 700 0125, options 2, then 2 again.
Terms and conditions - GWR discount
- The Open Days GWR travel offer is
only available for travel on GWR services, not Cross Country services. If travelling from or within a region of the country that is not part of the GWR network you may need to purchase separate tickets to the chosen destination.
- The destination must be relevant to the University you have received the link from, i.e. Cheltenham Spa or Gloucester for the University of Gloucestershire
- Origin of journey must be within the GWR network, but please note that Advance Purchase tickets are not available for short distance journeys.
- The scheme is only available for use with
Advance Purchase tickets. These set times and dates of travel and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
- The Open Days GWR travel offer is available for the dates provided by each university and the week that the event takes place, running Saturday to the next Sunday. So stay for more than a day to get a feel for the local scene.
- The scheme is combinable with the
16 - 25 Railcard. Simply tick the box on the page by “Passengers” and select from the drop down box.
- The URL is unique to your university and cannot be used for destinations other than specified.
Terms and conditions - TfW discount
- The discount applies to Transport for Wales (TFW) services only
- The 10% discount is available on TFW Advance fares only
- Tickets are time specific, valid only on the specified service
- Tickets will be collected using a Ticket on Departure reference provided at time of booking
- Tickets are non-refundable