Skip to content

Private housing

Rent a private house or flat from our approved list.

​What is university-approved private housing?

With university-approved private housing you can rent a private house or flat away from campus from a private landlord or letting agent.

Each year the university’s accommodation team produces a list of approved housing that’s available exclusively to University of Gloucestershire students. The scheme ensures that all properties have been visited by the accommodation team, meet certain health and safety criteria, and have gas and electricity certificates.

You can view university-approved private housing on StudentPad from across Cheltenham and Gloucester, and contact landlords directly via email, phone and SMS.

You will need to be a current student or applicant at the University of Gloucestershire to register an account on StudentPad.

If you’re a landlord and wish to add your property to our list of approved housing, view our information for landlords​.

Students sat on steps in Montpellier, Cheltenham.

Is private housing suitable for me?

Private housing is suitable for all students who wish to live independently away from campus, however it’s particularly popular with returning and postgraduate students.

Compare all accommodation types to decide which will be best for you.

How much does private housing cost?

The cost of private flats and houses can vary depending on a number of factors, including the location of the property, facilities, how many people you’re sharing the property with, and whether bills and utilities are included within your rent.

For example, you could expect to pay around £95 – £110 per week (excluding bills).

Private housing contracts

While halls of residence contracts last for 40 weeks, housing contracts can last anywhere between 40 and 52 weeks and will vary depending on the property. Usually you would expect to pay a deposit of one month’s rent when signing the contract to secure your room.

When you choose your shared student house, you will need to sign a legally binding tenancy agreement. Please be aware that when you rent a private house, your contract will be directly with the landlord and not with the university.

It’s important you understand the terms of the tenancy agreement before you sign the document. Once you have signed the tenancy agreement there is no cooling off period, and you are committed to all of the terms for the period stated.

Choosing your housemates for your shared student housing is also important and something we recommend considering carefully.

Get in touch with our accommodation team if you need any support, advice or guidance about private housing.

What facilities will I have in a private house or flat?

Most properties on the university-approved housing list will have 3 – 8 bedrooms with shared kitchens and bathrooms, laundry facilities, and appropriate furniture to cater for the number of students living in the property.

Your bedroom will usually include a bed, wardrobe, storage and desk, and many private houses will include a communal area or lounge. Some properties will come with further facilities such as a garden or parking spaces.​

Private housing guide

If you are looking at university approved or private housing for your accommodation needs, we are here to help, from dealing with landlords and agencies, to signing contracts and support with any aspects of your life whilst in accommodation.

Take a virtual tour

Take a virtual tour of examples of our approved housing.

Students sat on bench at Pittville Student Village

Why not return to halls in your second or third year?

Did you know that returning and postgraduate students can return to halls?

With great facilities, support, 40 week contracts and inclusive bills, staying in halls of residence can be a great option for returning and postgraduate students. You can even book an entire flat or townhouse with a group of friends if you know who you want to live with.

Find out more about halls of residence

What to do next

If you’re interesting in applying to stay in university-approved housing then you can use StudentPad to find flats and houses that are available near our campuses in Cheltenham and Gloucester.

You’ll need to register for an account when visiting student pad for the first time, and will find a number of different options to narrow your accommodation search.

Please be aware that access is only given to returning students, or students with a firm offer at the University (unconditional firm or conditional firm).

We’re here to help

The Housing Support Team are here to support students with all their housing needs throughout the year, including:

  • Support in searching for accommodation
  • Reading contracts and paperwork prior to signing
  • Assisting students in communicating with landlords
  • Support if any issues arise in the property, maintenance, disputes or concerns
  • Mediation between tenants and landlords

We also inspect all properties on the university approved housing list; hold all relevant paperwork and liaise with landlords regarding the housing market and current legislation.

Whether you’re starting your journey or looking for accommodation, the Housing Support Team are here to support you if you have any questions regarding accommodation.

You can contact the Housing Support Team on 01242 715322 or email


You can get in touch with the accommodation team using the options below​.​


01242 714544

Lines open Monday to Thursday: 9am – 5pm, Friday 9am – 4pm


We’ll get back to you as soon as we can within office hours