Severn Stars to host Cookey testimonial and run performance coaching programme
The Severn Stars professional netball team has hit the ground running with two not-to-be-missed opportunities for sports fans and coaches.
Their debut season in the Vitality Netball Superleague may not get underway until February, but the Severn Stars have got a number of events in the calendar for netball fanatics, coaches and sports fans.
Pamela Cookey’s testimonial match
The Severn Stars, jointly run by the University of Gloucestershire and University of Worcester, will be hosting the testimonial of former England captain Pamela Cookey on Saturday 17 December. The match will celebrate the career of the two-time Commonwealth bronze medallist and seven-time Superleague winner who became the University of Gloucestershire’s first Director of Netball in October.
The match will be played at the University of Worcester Arena and starts at 3pm. Match tickets cost £15 or VIP tickets can be purchased for £30 – which includes match tickets, post-match function, food, live music and Q&A with the players. Tickets can be bought from Ticketline.
Pamela said: “I’m very excited to mark the end of my playing career amongst friends, family and netball fans!
“England Netball, Team Bath and Surrey Storm have been a big part of my journey and I now look forward to my off-court role with the Severn Stars. This is a chance for me to thank them all.
“This event is set to be jam-packed with stars from the sporting world and media strutting their stuff ;-). I can’t wait to see you there too to celebrate with me!”
Severn Stars Performance Coach Development Programme
Severn Stars is committed to developing the future of coaching in the region to best support the next generation of players who strive to reach the top domestic level and international recognition. They’ve created a six-month Performance Coach Development Programme which will run from December 2016 to May 2017.
Coaches at Level 2 or above with a passion for coaching and development can apply for a place on the course by emailing email@example.com by the 20 November 2016. An independent panel will review all applications and successful candidates will be notified and invited to interview/assessment on the evening of the 23 November if required.
Venues: University of Worcester (Mondays) or University of Gloucestershire (Wednesdays).
The programme includes:
- Monthly workshop x 3 hours (6 in total)
- Workshop and session observation tasks at Severn Stars training (6-9pm)
- Opportunities to support the NPL coaching programme
- One-to-one professional discussion linked to NPL coaching experiences
- Opportunity to take part in a match day experience, in either pre-season VNSL or NPL
- Attendance at two Superleague home games to complete observation / analysis tasks with a follow up session with the Head Coach
- Interactive sessions with selected squad members to outline their learning pre-season / competitive experiences
- Updates on current coach development news / research from the sector
- Invite to join the annual coaching CPD sessions with Professor Jean Cote (leader in transformational coaching research and consultancy)
- Each coach will receive an item of replica kit and be inducted into the Severn Stars NextGen Coaching Hub.
Email the Severn Stars if you have any queries or would like more information.