Please note this module descriptor is indicative of the structure of this course and may be subject to change.
This module aims to identify, investigate and debate a number of contemporary issues in education that are of interest to the student group.
This module will cover the following topics:
The evolving topic of education within the context of modern society;
Exploration, analysis and challenge to student's own and others thinking through detailed study of current educational issues;
Active learning through debate, seminars (using information from a wide range of sources such as books, journals, magazines, newspaper articles), web sites, interviews (with relevant people) and brochures/leaflets produced by organisations.
A student passing this module should be able to:...
1. Interrogate current changes to educational policy and legislation;
2. Analyse key issues in education with particular consideration given to inclusion and rights;
3. Synthesise information from a range of sources and explain how different information sources present different views and opinions considering bias in reporting;
4. Work successfully to effectively gather and present a critical discussion to an audience;
5. Engage in debate and presentations showing skills in critical argument;
6. Use IT to enhance their study.
A course map contains a list of the individual study units, called modules, that you study to complete your course. Some modules are compulsory, but you can sometimes choose modules outside your core area of study which interest you.
A module is a self-contained, individual unit of study. The module descriptor provides various details about the module including who the module tutor is, what you will be studying, how you will be assessed and what you will have learned once you have completed the module.
Course maps and module descriptors from previous years can be found in the Course Resources Archive.
Meet the staff who teach this subject.
Our next campus visit day is on Wednesday 15 January 2020.
Read about fees, funding options and ways to pay.
Further details about degree classification and timetables.