Please note this module descriptor is indicative of the structure of this course and may be subject to change.
This module provides an opportunity for students to explore notions of coaching, mentoring and supervision with a view to developing the skills and attributes necessary to successfully support and accept professional development and encourage and exercise reflective practice.
This module will cover the following topics:
definitions and models of mentoring, coaching and supervision;
the purposes and models of professional supervision;
processes of mentoring, coaching and supervision;
benefits to individual, colleagues, employer and service users;
ethical practice; knowledge, skills and attributes needed for effective practice; reciprocity;
emotional and social intelligence;
A student passing this module should be able to:
1. Explain and describe the principal characteristics of mentoring, coaching and professional supervision;
2. Outline the differences between them and the purposes of each;
3. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the role of mentoring, coaching and the benefits of effective practice;
4. Show a sound awareness of the principles of mentoring and coaching in a practical context;
5. Reflect upon and demonstrate skills in the development and management of supporting a peer.
A course map contains a list of the individual study units, called modules, that you study to complete your course. Some modules are compulsory, but you can sometimes choose modules outside your core area of study which interest you.
A module is a self-contained, individual unit of study. The module descriptor provides various details about the module including who the module tutor is, what you will be studying, how you will be assessed and what you will have learned once you have completed the module.
Course maps and module descriptors from previous years can be found in the Course Resources Archive.
Meet the staff who teach this subject.
Our next campus visit day is on Wednesday 15 January 2020.
Read about fees, funding options and ways to pay.
Further details about degree classification and timetables.