Our lecturers are research active experts who will support students on their journey to becoming advanced professional practitioners. Completion of MSc Advanced Professional Practice will develop in-depth knowledge and expertise required for contemporary health and social care.
The MSc Advanced Professional Practice (APP) runs parallel to the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (ACP) and has been designed to meet the academic and clinical development needs of practitioners from a range of health and allied health professions. This programme has been developed in close collaboration with commissioning providers of health and social care, and other key stakeholders such as students, service users and partners in practice to ensure that it meets contemporary workforce needs and practice standards.
This programme also recognises that students may already have a portfolio of Continuing Professional Development (including clinically focused level 7 modules from the University of Gloucestershire and other HEIs), but not yet had the opportunity to register for a full Master`s level award. Students will have the potential to transfer credit into the programme providing a coherent route to completing an MSc Advanced Professional Practice.
Students are encouraged to look beyond their professional field, to theory from a range of other disciplines, including sociology, philosophy, psychology and the law. The master’s provides students with the tools to challenge embedded norms and have an in-depth awareness of local, national and international issues which may impact upon their advanced professional practice. Students will accomplish competent and confident inquiry that will underpin their future evidence-based and advanced practice.
A range of learning and teaching methods are used across the MSc Advanced Professional Practice. University based contact days will engage methods such as practical skills sessions; seminar discussions; service-user led sessions; enquiry and problem-based learning; key-note lectures; student led seminars; critical incident reviews and tutorials. Teaching and learning will also be consolidated by a range of on-line provision such as recommended reading; quizzes; discussion forums; clinical scenarios.
The University of Gloucestershire`s Moodle Virtual Learning Environment is used throughout the MSc to support both the directed, and student led learning that is key to this programme.
Students can opt to undertake ‘stand- alone’ modules after discussion with the ACL
Each 15 CAT module requires 5 university contact days 9.15 - 16.15pm which are spaced across the duration of the module.
- Pharmacology for prescribing (15 CATS)
- Prescribing practice (15 CATS)
- Teaching, coaching and supervision for clinical practice (15 CATS)
- Assessment, diagnosis and decision making for advanced clinical practice (30 CATS)
- Leadership, management and professionalism for advanced clinical practice (15 CATS)
- Advanced independent inquiry (60 CATS)
- Personal and professional development for advanced professional practice (15 CATS)
- Specialist clinical practice (15 CATS)
- Promoting health and well-being (15 CATS)
- The legal and ethical basis of health and social care (15 CATS)
- Advancing Professional Practice (Preceptorship) (15 CATS)
- Individual learning contract (15 CATS)
Take a look at the course content for full details of all the modules you'll study on this course.
- Be a registered healthcare professional from any discipline with a minimum of 2 years post registration experience
- Employment in a relevant professional role with employer support and agreement from a suitable workplace clinical mentor for the duration of the course to oversee the transition into an advanced clinical practitioner
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a related subject
- EU and international students need to demonstrate equivalence to a first or second-class honours degree OR experience and qualifications equivalent to this (see section below) and IELTS 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element
- Students should demonstrate aspiration and desire to enhance patient experience and outcomes with innovative healthcare solutions
|Fees - 2020/21 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study; see also the details of potential extra costs. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
Successful students obtaining their full Master’s degree will be able to apply for appropriate job roles across healthcare organisations.
Meet the Lecturer
Discover more about your course by visiting the university to speak with one of our lecturers. Learn about the modules, teaching style and the modes of assessment by speaking to our experts, and get a feel for the facilities you'll be using. Visit our Meet the Lecturer page to find out more and book your place.
This programme has been developed in close collaboration with commissioning providers of health and social care, and other key stakeholders such as students, service users and partners in practice to ensure that it meets contemporary workforce needs and practice standards.
Potential to transfer existing CPD credit, providing a coherent route to completing an MSc Advanced Professional Practice.