Working with experienced education professionals, explore the policies and philosophies of inclusion in relation to special educational needs and wider inclusion groups.
The course begins with a discussion about how the term ‘inclusion’ can be interpreted. You will explore policies and philosophies of inclusion in relation to both special educational needs and special provision, as well as theories of social justice and equality for all students.
We will consider how to evaluate and develop policy and practices in individual educational institutions, and analyse how far current educational contexts of performativity and highstakes accountability may affect developments in inclusionary thinking and practice. Module Descriptions
- Inclusive Education: Policy, Dimensions and Trends Critically consider a range of perspectives about mainstream, special and inclusive education
- The Role of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator in the Mainstream School: Hone the practical skills required by special educational needs coordinator
- A Supervised Dissertation: On a relevant topic of your choosing
This Post Graduate Certificate (part-time) is specifically designed to allow practitioners in schools to gain accreditation linked to the work they are undertaking or have undertaken in gaining the Inclusion Quality Mark in their setting.
We value the learning and development which occurs for practitioners in the process of the working towards the Inclusion Quality Mark and believe that this learning can be harnessed to move your academic development forward.
Upon completion of this Post Graduate Certificate you will have completed one third of a master's. At this point, we'd be happy to discuss your options to continue your studies with a view to completing the Masters outlined above.
Module DescriptionsThis PG Cert option comprises two 30-credit master’s-level modules.
- Inclusive Education: Policy, Dimensions and Trends Critically consider a range of perspectives about mainstream, special and inclusive education.
- Career Professional Development (IQM): Reflection upon your learning through the Inclusion Quality Mark – Learning for this module will be supported through tutorial and seminar linked to your professional context.
Assessment is 100% by coursework
Take a look at the course content for full details of all the modules you'll study on this course.
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Or a relevant postgraduate or professional qualification
- And/or appropriate work experience
- EU and international students needs IELTS 6.0 overall (no less than 5.5 in any other band) or equivalent
See the further details of tuition fees when studying a course at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Subject Leader/SENCo
- Senior or middle leadership role with a responsibility for inclusion
- Practitioners with a specific responsibility for inclusive pedagogy development throughout a school group
- Teachers leaders and practitioners wanting to enhance their inclusive practice
Meet the Lecturer
Discover more about your course by visiting the university to speak with one of our lecturers. Learn about the modules, teaching style and the modes of assessment by speaking to our experts, and get a feel for the facilities you'll be using. Visit our Meet the Lecturer page to find out more and book your place.
The course is aimed at anybody who has to engage with learners, from teaching assistants to industry trainers. It is not just about formal lectures, it’s about discussions – we love the challenging conversations and seeing the students using their increased skills and confidence to really help their learners.
Understand theories and practices
Gain a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of theories and practices of inclusion.
Learn about policy development and implementation
Gain a thorough knowledge of perspectives on inclusionary policy development and analysis of implementation issues.
Suitable for all teachers
The programme is suitable for serving teachers at all career stages and from all sectors of education.