Skip to content


Inviting relatives and friends to visit

Last updated: 17 March 2023

Relatives and friends can visit you for up to six months while you are studying in the UK. If your relative/friend is a visa national, they must make an immigration application as a ‘Standard Visitor’ in their home country. They will not be allowed to work while they are in the UK, and they must have enough money to support themselves for their entire stay. The university does not sponsor this kind of application.

When to apply

Applications for a ‘Standard Visitor’ visa can be made up to three months before the intended date of travel. For an indication of how long it may take for the application to be processed, please use the UK Visas and Immigration guide to processing times.

Please note that during peak periods it can take much longer for applications to be processed overseas, so you should try to submit your application as early as practically possible, to avoid disappointment.

How to apply

For everywhere apart from North Korea, you will need to submit your application online.

When you apply, you must choose the option that best describes why you are coming to the UK, e.g. choose ‘general’ if you’re visiting on holiday.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

Documents required for application

Your relative/friend should supply all relevant documents listed on the UK Visas and Immigration website. The following documents are normally required:

You may also wish to supply your relative/friend with the following documents, for inclusion with their visa application:

Was this article helpful?