Skip to content
Practice support

Raising concerns

Find information if you need to raise a concern about a practice placement or student in practice.​

Raising Concerns

Jump to: How to Raise a Concern | Useful links | 24 Hour emergency contact

Ensuring professional statutory regulatory body standards are maintained and upheld, is a core part of professionalism.

The University of Gloucestershire takes any raise of concerns seriously and will instigate an investigation. The University recognises that it may not be easy to raise concerns and will ensure support is available to those raising concerns. 

Professional registrants and students undertaking a programme or course leading to professional regulation have a duty to put the interests of the people you care for first and to act to protect them if you feel they may be at risk; additionally, if you witness or experience any behaviour recognised as bullying, harassment, or assault; or discrimination related to protected characteristics under the Equality Act a concern should be raised.

It is important that you raise concerns in a timely way so that any immediate issues such as safeguarding and protection of the vulnerable can be identified and acted upon. If the issue occurs while on placement, you should raise your concerns using the placement provider policy. This should have been explained to you at your induction or can be found in the policies of the placement area.

If there is an immediate risk of harm, it is important that you report your concerns without delay to an appropriate person.

The School of Health and Social Care Raising Concerns Process should be utilised along with the local placement area Raise of Concerns/Whistle Blowing policy/Freedom to Speak up related policies.

How to Raise a Concern

Any concern should be raised as soon as possible.

For Students:

The first step in the raising concerns process is to discuss your concerns locally, with the placement, ward or service manager, or your supervisor/assessor/educator in practice, utilising the local Freedom to Speak Up Guardian in an attempt to resolve the issue. You can also seek support from the university, your personal tutor, or the placements team if your tutor is unavailable.

Were you able to raise your concern, and if so, was it dealt with satisfactorily?


If you feel that you need additional support following your concern being raised, please contact the university Welfare team, Helpzones, your tutor or the placements team.


Raise the issue for further investigation with the University of Gloucestershire via the Raising and Escalating Concerns Form.

For University and Placement Staff:

Please initially liaise with the placements team for advice. The team can be reached via email at Please ensure that you include your contact telephone number so that a member of the team can respond during office hours. If you have an emergency outside of office hours, please contact the university security team.

If after contacting the Placements Team you feel that the issue has not been satisfactorily addressed, please complete the Raising and Escalating Concerns Form.

For Patients, Service Users, Family and Carers:

Please raise the issue with the University of Gloucestershire via the Raising and Escalating Concerns Form.

Process for resolving concerns raised

An initial assessment will determine what actions need to be taken, if any, and identify an individual to undertake the fact-finding process. Timescales will be agreed upon and communicated depending on the complexity of the situation and agreed upon with the associated placement lead for the organisation. The first step will always be to try to resolve your concerns directly with the placement.

Feedback will be provided to you, and you will be signposted to the university support services should you require any additional guidance during this process.

Feedback will be provided to you when any investigation has been completed, however, depending on the complexity of the situation, this may be non-specific.

Sources of advice and support

Speak Up Direct: Speak Up Direct offers free, independent, confidential advice on the speaking up process.

Telephone: 08000 724 725

Protect: Protect is a charity that provides free, legal, and confidential whistleblowing advice to people who are concerned about wrongdoing at work and not sure whether, or how, to raise their concerns.

Telephone: 020 3117 2520

Finding your local Freedom to Speak Up Guardian

Please use these links to find your local freedom to speak up guardian.

Trust documentation and guidance

Some key documents and information from our trust and placement partners

Some key links to Professional Statutory Regulatory Bodies’ policies:

In addition, your professional association can provide guidance and support.

24 Hour emergency contact

In the case of an emergency where a University member of staff is required, please contact the 24 hour security number who will be able to contact key staff to offer support.