Skip to content

Transferring to University of Gloucestershire

We understand that your choice of university might not be what you expected. No need to worry, we can help you continue your undergraduate studies by transferring to UoG.

After starting your journey into higher education, you may discover that the university you’re studying at is not quite what you expected.

This is not uncommon and can be for a variety of reasons – you might not have been able to secure accommodation at your chosen university, or wish to move closer to home.

Don’t worry, you are not alone, and you can always choose to transfer to University of Gloucestershire to continue your undergraduate studies.

You can transfer via UCAS Clearing too. If you have previously accepted a place elsewhere and want to transfer to UoG, call our Clearing hotline on 03330 432 414.

Five-step transfer process

1. Contacting admissions

Your first step is to get in touch with our admissions team and provide them with the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Details of your current university and course
  • Details of any modules and studies you have already completed that may give you credit(s)
  • The course you’re looking to transfer to.

If you are given an offer, head to the UCAS website to complete your application process.

Student using a computer in the university library
Girls sat at computer

2. Checking eligibility

We recommend carrying out some research into the financial support available for your studies and the course(s) entry requirements.

  • Check with student finance what financial support you’re entitled to when transferring to another university, especially if you’re looking to repeat a year of study
  • Check the course(s) entry requirements, which are listed within each of our undergraduate courses.

3. Applying through UCAS

Once you’ve received an offer, head to UCAS and begin the application process.

If you have recently started at university, you may be able to use the same UCAS form to apply to us if your current university can release you into Clearing.

If your previous UCAS application is older, you may need to complete a new one – don’t worry, our admissions team will let you know when you need to do this.

If you have previously applied to university, you will already have a personal ID and password which you can use to log in to UCAS website.

A woman is sat writing at a desk
A girl sits working at a desk

4. Personal statement and references

A personal statement is a very useful resource for us to understand why you want to study on the course, and for you to tell us about any relevant experience you have.

UCAS will ask you to include a personal statement in your application, but we also recommend you send it to our admissions team when you get in touch.

We also ask you to include a reference on your UCAS form, and usually this would be provided by someone at your current institution. We recommend contacting your reference in advance to help speed up the process when UCAS sends them a reference request.

Check out this handy UCAS guide on how to write a personal statement.

5. Transferring credits

Lastly, if you’re looking to transfer credits then we’ll need the following information from you:

  • Copies of your official transcripts for the modules which you have already studied
  • As much detail about the modules as possible, for example module descriptions from your course handbook.
Lecturer smiling during a seminar

Transferring credits

Accreditation Prior Learning (APL)

Prospective students who wish to apply for the accreditation of credits previously gained at another institution may apply for Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL).

What is APL?

APL is the term used for the award of credit for learning undertaken prior to entry to a programme of study; APL falls into two categories:

APL is accepted by the University of Gloucestershire for undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes of study providing the outcomes of prior learning can be mapped to the intended University of Gloucestershire award.

Students leaving the university are provided with an academic transcript of their studies that details the number and level of credits earned to date; where sufficient credits have been earned to justify an award, students are also provided with the applicable certificate and diploma supplement.

If you have any questions about APL or transferring credits, please get in touch with our admissions team who can provide further support.

Pittville Campus


We have a range of high-quality accommodation on or close to our campuses in Cheltenham and Gloucester – contact our accommodation team and they would be delighted to help if places are available, or can suggest alternative accommodation options.

Contact us

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the process of transferring to the University of Gloucestershire, please contact our admissions team who can provide further support.