||This module develops the ideas and concepts of networking, its implementation, and protocols and how they are used to manage an organizations’ networking infrastructure. With increasing demand for structured cabling solutions, network managers need to have an understanding of the standards for successful network design and installation. In addition, students will gain an understanding of some of the more advanced aspects of networking and the professional issues related to the industry. Now that security is becoming sucj an important element of any networking solution, students will be introduced to the BSI ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management standards and how their designs can be compliant.
||Network protocols (TCP/IP, ISDN, X.25, Frame Relay, ATM). Network routing protocols (interior, exterior, static, dynamic, link-state and distance protocols). Network scaling (NAT, DHCP). Network security (access control lists, firewalls). Network configuration (computers, switches, routers, trouble-shooting). Application protocols (FTP, HTTP). Distributed computing architectures (client-server, peer-to-peer). Standard Protocols (FTP, HTTP, SMTP, tunneling); Operating Systems Support (caches, proxies, firewalls, virtual machines); Distributed Computing Fundamentals (client-server, peer-to-peer). Cryptography (the Data Encryption Standard, public key systems); Performance (scalability, reliability); Security (attacks and defenses). Network Planning (designing a structured wired or wireless network systems). Network Technologies (UTP, STP, and coaxial, non-paired cable, Fiber optic cable, wireless, infra-red and laser). BSI ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management, Students will study and investigate networking scenarios for their practical and coursework throughout the module.
||A student passing this module should be able to:
- Design the structured wiring installation for a small business.
- Understand the form of differing network topologies and technologies.
- Investigate the operation of networking protocols and the principles of encapsulation.
- Outline the performance and security problems that arise in a wide-area network, and their solutions; Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of network installation and security standards, and be able to analyse the business needs of network installations.
- Analyse the role of standards and compare alternative solutions/approaches to implementing the customer requirements.
- Explain the significance of issues such as security and resilience, appreciate the role of firewalls, virus protection, backup strategy etc.