Please note this module descriptor is indicative of the structure of this course and may be subject to change.
This module aims to impart the principles of GIS data gathering, manipulation and output, and to develop an understanding of the principles associated with the acquisition, presentation and interpretation of remotely-sensed data. The module will focus on the application of these techniques using a range of GIS software. This module must be passed by all those wishing to take NS6306 Advanced GIS.
Introduction to GIS
Using Digimap to download maps
Digitising in ArcMap and draping in ArcScene
GIS and remote sensing
Image manipulation and classification
Raster GIS introduction; suitability mapping and modelling with QGIS
Reclassification, digitising and problem-solving in QGIS
A student passing this module should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the theory and applications of remote sensing and GIS
2. Demonstrate an awareness of the various kinds of spatial imagery and data formats used in such systems
3. Appreciate the wide range of applications of GIS and remote sensing
4. Capture, input, interpret and evaluate appropriate visual and numerical data from various sources
5. Demonstrate competency in using a range of GIS software
6. Demonstrate an ability to select the most effective graphic output to illustrate meaningful associations between spatial data sets
A course map contains a list of the individual study units, called modules, that you study to complete your course. Some modules are compulsory, but you can sometimes choose modules outside your core area of study which interest you.
A module is a self-contained, individual unit of study. The module descriptor provides various details about the module including who the module tutor is, what you will be studying, how you will be assessed and what you will have learned once you have completed the module.
Course maps and module descriptors from previous years can be found in the Course Resources Archive.
Contact our enquiries team.
Find out more about fees, funding options and ways to pay.