This programme enables experienced healthcare professionals to acquire and develop the skills and knowledge inherent to the core capabilities and specialist competencies across the four pillars of Advanced Clinical Practice: clinical practice, leadership and management, education and research.
The Masters programme supports students throughout their transformation journey towards advanced clinical practice. It supports the workforce development needs of contemporary healthcare providers, whilst also taking into account the learning, teaching and quality assurance required of Master`s Level study.
Students will develop the confidence, mastery and skills to become leaders within clinical practice, promoting and enabling patient-centred care, innovative treatment models and clinical effectiveness. Critical reflection on the patient care provided within a political, social and environmental context, utilising knowledge of public health data of patients in their clinical area, is at the core of our course. Students will learn to engage with an increased complexity of clinical decision making, arriving at safe and well justifiable outcomes.
The modules within this course are designed to support health and social care practitioners as they make the transformation into advanced clinical practitioners. The use of a portfolio throughout the course supports and demonstrates your professional development. Modules are mapped against National standards for advancing practice, focusing on the four pillars of education, clinical practice, research and leadership. You will critically explore, evaluate and apply theory from the classroom into clinical practice, reflecting upon, and identifying your own learning needs in order to enhance your practice in the workplace.
- Personal and professional development for advanced clinical practice
- Pharmacology for prescribing
- Prescribing practice
- Teaching, coaching and supervision for clinical practice
- Assessment, diagnosis and decision making for advanced clinical practice
- Leadership, management and professionalism for advanced clinical practice
- Advanced independent inquiry
Take a look at the course content for full details of all the modules you'll study on this course.
Applications to the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice should fulfil the following requirements:
- Be a registered healthcare professional from any discipline with a minimum of 2 years post registration experience.
- Employment in a relevant professional role with employer support and agreement from a suitable workplace clinical mentor for the duration of the course to oversee the transition into an advanced clinical practitioner.
- At least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a related subject.
- EU and international students need to demonstrate equivalence to a first or second-class honours degree OR experience and qualifications equivalent to this (see section below) and IELTS 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element.
- Students should demonstrate aspiration and desire to enhance patient experience and outcomes with innovative healthcare solutions.
|Fees - 2020/21 Academic Year
Home and EU Students
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full-time or part-time study; see also the details of potential extra costs. Please refer to the Tuition Fee and Bursary Policy for payment methods and timescales.
Successful students obtaining their full master’s degree will be able to use the title ‘Advanced Clinical Practitioner’ enabling students to apply for appropriate job roles across healthcare organisations.
Meet the Lecturer
Discover more about your course by visiting the university to speak with one of our lecturers. Learn about the modules, teaching style and the modes of assessment by speaking to our experts, and get a feel for the facilities you'll be using. Visit our Meet the Lecturer page to find out more and book your place.
Use innovative models of care to develop personal and professional skills to overcome workplace challenges within our evolving NHS.
Delivered by an experienced advanced clinical practitioner the curriculum is designed to take students on a journey of transformation towards advanced practice.
Students will be supported to expand the boundaries of their current scope of practice with the aim of providing an enhanced, clinically effective, service for their patients.