Skip to content

International students

Applying for a Student route visa outside the UK – FAQs

Last updated: 1 December 2023

1. How do I submit my Student visa application?

Please see our step-by-step guide to applying for a Student visa outside the UK.

2. When should I submit my Student visa application?

It generally takes 2-3 weeks for a Student visa application to be processed. You should therefore aim to submit your application as soon as possible after being issued with your CAS Statement, and no later than four weeks before the course start-date (to allow time for travelling to the UK after receiving your visa).

3. How much will my Student visa application cost?

For the most up-to-date information on fees, see the GOV.UK Student visa pages.

Please also note the requirement to pay an additional charge for healthcare, known as the immigration health surcharge. For further information about this fee, see the GOV.UK immigration healthcare pages.

4. What supporting documents do I need to submit with my visa application?

The precise documents required will depend on your particular circumstances, but you are likely to have to submit a combination of the following:

5. Do I need to submit my academic documents with my visa application?

If your course is at undergraduate level (i.e. RQF Level 6) or above, or if you are a national of an exempt country, you do not need to submit any academic documents with your visa application.

Please note that, irrespective of whether you are required to submit your academic documents with your visa application, you should still bring your academic documents with you to the UK, as the University may wish to see them as part of your enrolment process.

6. Am I required to submit evidence of funds with my visa application?

If you are a national of an exempt country, you are not required to submit any evidence of funds with your visa application. Please be aware, however, that UKVI caseworkers are entitled to request evidence of funds from nationals of exempt countries if they so wish. For this reason, we recommend that nationals of exempt countries prepare evidence of funds in exactly the same way as students from countries that are not exempt.

7. What are the required funds?


8. I have pre-paid for halls of residence accommodation – can I show a lower amount for living costs?

If you have pre-paid for halls of residence accommodation, you are permitted to deduct a maximum of £1265 from the living costs element of your funds. See examples below:

9. What documents should I submit as evidence of funds?

You can supply evidence in any of the following formats: cash funds in a bank or building society account, a loan in your name, or official financial sponsorship.

For detailed guidance regarding what types of document are acceptable, please see our Guide to Student Route Financial Requirements.

10. Do I need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate?

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is designed to ensure that those applying for postgraduate study in certain sensitive subject areas do not acquire knowledge that could potentially be used in Weapons of Mass Destruction programmes. Very few courses at the university will require clearance under this scheme, but if you are required to obtain an ATAS certificate, this will be flagged during the Admissions process. To learn more about applying for ATAS clearance, and for more detailed information about which types of study and subject areas are affected, please see the relevant pages on the GOV.UK website. Please note: it can take several weeks to obtain an ATAS certificate, so it is important that you apply well before submitting your visa application.

11. Do I need a certificate confirming I am free from Tuberculosis (TB)?

Nationals of certain countries need to obtain a certificate that states they are free from infectious TB before applying for a visa. The test includes having a chest X-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital run by the International Organisation for Migration. For the current list of affected countries, plus further information on the test, please see the Tuberculosis tests for visa applicants page at GOV.UK.

Yes.  The letter needs to be signed by your parent(s), and must confirm:

13. Do my supporting documents have to be in English?

Yes. Where an original document (e.g. bank statement, birth certificate) is not in English, it must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. This translation must include details of the translator/translation company’s credentials, confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document, and the translator/translation company’s contact details. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company.

14. I have made a further payment to the university after receiving my CAS Statement. Will my CAS automatically be updated?

No. If you make a further fee payment after you have been issued with a CAS Statement, you need to send an email notification to We will then check with the university’s fees department that the money has been received and amend your CAS accordingly.

Please note: it is your responsibility to ensure the CAS is up to date prior to applying for a visa. The university cannot accept responsibility for any visa refusals that result from CAS not being up to date.

15. I have been issued a CAS that covers a Pre-sessional course only. Will the university help me to extend my visa inside the UK upon successful completion of the course?

Yes. We will run a series of workshops during and following your Pre-sessional course to guide you through the visa extension process.

16. When will my visa start?

You will initially be issued with a vignette (sticker) in your passport that is valid for a 90 day period. This period will start 30 days before the course start date on your CAS or seven days before the date you specified on your application form as your intended date of travel to the UK, whichever is later. Your vignette will be accompanied by a letter detailing the full length of your visa, and explaining that you are required to collect a biometric residence permit (BRP) within 10 days of arriving in the UK. [Provided you entered the relevant code on your application form, you will be able to collect your BRP from the university as part of the enrolment process.]

17. When will my visa expire?

This depends on the type and length of your course:

18. Will I be interviewed as part of the visa application process?

UKVI reserves the right to call any applicant for a face-to-face interview, as they see fit. In addition, you may be asked to undergo a ‘credibility interview’ when you attend your appointment at the visa application centre. This interview is conducted using video-conferencing facilities and ordinarily lasts no longer than 10 minutes. Some possible questions you might be asked are as follows:

19. What should I do if my visa application is refused?

If you think the refusal was incorrect, based on the evidence you submitted with your application, you are allowed to ask for an Administrative Review of the decision to refuse it. There is a fee for this, and you must request the Administrative Review within 28 days of the date you receive your refusal notice.  You cannot produce new or different documents for an Administrative Review.  he process is explained in more detail at Appendix AR of the Immigration Rules.

Please be aware that you are permitted to submit a new visa application at the same time as requesting an Administrative Review of an earlier visa application. You will need to submit a new CAS with this application, which can be obtained by sending an email to Please attach your visa refusal notice to this email, as we will need to review the reasons for refusal before issuing a new CAS. Please also note that a new CAS will only be issued if, in the university’s view, there is sufficient time for you to re-apply and arrive at the university before the latest start-date.

20. Will I be able to work in the UK?

Your Student visa should state that you are permitted to work, subject to certain restrictions.  If your course is at degree level or above (excluding a foundation degree), you will be permitted to work up to 20 hours per week (i.e. part-time) during term-time and full-time during the official university vacation periods. If your course is below degree level (including a foundation degree), you will be permitted to work up to 10 hours per week (i.e. part-time) during term-time and full-time during the official university vacation periods.

For more detailed information about working during your studies, please see the guidance produced by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

21. Can I bring my dependants (family members) with me?

For courses starting from 1 January 2024, you are only able to bring your husband, wife, unmarried partner, and children (under 18) to the UK with you as a Student visa dependant if one of the following applies to you:

Your dependants are able to apply to enter the UK at the same time as you or they can apply separately at a later date. If they are not applying at the same time as you they should ensure that you have received your visa before they make their own visa application. 

For students who don’t fit the eligibility criteria above, dependants can apply to come and visit you for up to 6 months under the category of ‘Standard Visitor‘.

For further information please visit our dependants page.

22. How do my dependants apply for their visas?

Dependants must apply online under the rules for Student dependant applications. As part of the application process they will also be required to attend a visa application centre to enrol their biometric information.

For further information about submitting applications for your dependants, please see the relevant UKVI web page at GOV.UK

23. What documents do my dependants need to submit with their visa applications?

The precise documents required will depend on your dependants’ particular circumstances, but they are likely to have to submit some or all of the following:

24. How much do dependant applications cost?

For the most up-to-date information on fees, see the GOV.UK Student visa pages.

25. How much money do my dependants have to show for living costs?

Dependants are required to show £680 for each month of immigration permission that you have been granted (if they are applying after you have received your visa) or will be granted (if they are applying at the same time as you). This is up to a maximum of 9 months, i.e. £6120. The funds can be held in either your name or the dependant’s name. 


26. Where can I find further information about applying for a Student visa outside the UK?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has produced a detailed guide to making a Student visa application. This guide includes information about all aspects of the visa application process and includes links to many other useful publications.

Was this article helpful?