Skip to content


Care Leavers Scholarship 2024/25

Last updated: 8 December 2023

In 2024/25, scholarships of up to £6,625 per annum will be offered to University of Gloucestershire students of Home status, who have been in local authority care in the UK.

The Care Leavers Scholarship consists of:

Note 1: Students should apply for a full £9250 tuition fee loan from Student Finance, and if the fee waiver is awarded the university will advise Student Finance that a lower loan is needed.

Note 2: The bursary can be received as discounted halls of residence fees, OR cash support for students living in private accommodation.


Eligible students will:

Further information

Scholarship awards regarding general living costs are paid directly into students’ bank accounts in three instalments;

Entry dateInstalments
September 202425% at end of Nov 202425% at end of Feb 202550% at end of May 2025
January 202525% at end of Feb 202525% at end of May 202550% at end of Nov 2025

A scholarship holder who transfers from full-time to part-time enrolment will cease to be eligible to hold the scholarship.

A student on their year-long placement (as part of a ‘sandwich’ programme) will only be entitled to the 50% fee waiver whilst on placement.  

The Care Leavers Scholarship is only available to students studying on courses delivered by the University of Gloucestershire. The scholarship will be terminated for any student who ceases to be enrolled as a student of the University of Gloucestershire. If either the scholarship or enrolment are terminated for any reason, the student must repay the University any monies overpaid, based on a pro-rata calculation from the date of the termination.

The University of Gloucestershire has a dedicated Money Advice Team to offer information, advice and guidance on all aspects of student finance. They provide a confidential service to prospective and current students.

How to apply

Please email Susana Franklyn, University’s named contact for Care Leavers, at: to discuss eligibility and how to apply.  A letter from a Social Worker/Personal Adviser confirming the student has been in the care of a local authority in the UK for a period of 3 months or more between the age of 14 and school-leaving age (18 years) will be required.

Was this article helpful?