Skip to content
Chevron pattern Chevron alternate pattern

International students

EU Settlement Scheme

Last updated: 14 January 2021

The transition period for the UK exiting the EU is due to finish at the end of December 2020. Assuming this is not extended, from January 2021 onwards, EU/EEA nationals wishing to travel to the UK will first need to ensure that they have the appropriate immigration permission to do so.

For students, this will usually mean one of the two immigration routes outlined below.

EU Settlement Scheme

Current EU/EEA nationals who are already in the UK should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This is a quick, free application, usually with an almost immediate response, granting students permission to remain in the UK either under settled or pre-settled status.

Students who are already in and remaining in the UK for the duration of the programme will be able to apply for this route up until the end of June 2021.

From January 2021, the University will then have a responsibility to the UK Home Office to ensure that all EU/EEA nationals have the appropriate permission to remain in the UK.

We ask that if you have made an application under this route, that you please send us a copy of your granted immigration permission. This will then be added to your student record so that we can evidence your right to remain and study in the UK. This may be in the form of electronic permission, rather than a printed visa or BRP card.

Student Route

The Student Route (previously Tier 4) is an immigration route allowing for study in the UK. Along with International (non-EU) students, from January 2021, any EU/EEA nationals without any other type of immigration permission for the UK will first need to apply for a Student Route visa prior to travel to the UK.

Current EU/EEA students who intend to travel home for the winter break and who will be returning in January 2021 should ensure that the appropriate application is made in advance for the EU Settlement Scheme. If this is not applied for in advance while inside the UK, students will then need to apply under the Student Route for entry to the UK, which can take several weeks minimum to be granted and may delay your return to study.

Please contact if you have any questions or concerns. We offer a free and confidential immigration service to help ensure that your immigration status is maintained throughout your studies with us.

Was this article helpful?