Skip to content


International family accommodation

Last updated: 6 September 2023

University of Gloucestershire does not provide accommodation for families. If you are considering bringing your family, it is important that you arrange accommodation for them prior to arrival in Gloucestershire.

If you are not able to arrange family accommodation before arrival, you should travel on your own, book short term accommodation, and then secure family accommodation before your family travel.

Below we provide information about family accommodation in the private sector (letting a property directly from a landlord). 

Please note: it can take some time to secure a house that meets your needs. In some cases, it can take 2 – 4 weeks, or more, depending on your requirements, so you must plan ahead.

Private sector housing

The rental market moves very quickly in Gloucestershire and the supply of affordable family accommodation is limited. It is important to factor this into your decision if you are choosing to bring your family with you.

You will need to register on different rental sites and local letting agents in the area, to give yourself the best chance of finding the right property for you.

When starting your search, it is important to remember, that you will need to have a bedroom per child, unless you have small children, when two per room would be acceptable.  Letting agents and landlords will not usually rent 1 or 2 bedroom places to families of 3 or more.

Rental costs

Rental costs can vary from area to area, so it is important to be realistic about your budget. The average rental cost are as follows for private accommodation (2022/23):


Energy prices are currently at a record high, so we would strongly recommend speaking with the agents before committing to a property to ask what the average bills are for the property so you factor this into your budget.

If you have an adult within the property that is not a full-time student, they may be liable for Council Tax as well; details on council tax charges and how to set up your bills can be found below:

General advice for international students about council tax and exemptions can be found on the UKCISA website.

Deposits and guarantors

All agents and landlords will require you to pay a deposit, which is normally at least one month’s rent, as well as provide a UK-based Guarantor or undertake a credit check.

If you do not have a UK based guarantor or feel you will not pass a credit check, you will need to use a Guarantor Company to act on your behalf. This is where you take out an insurance policy on your contract for a set fee (that can be the equivalent cost of 2-4 weeks of the property rental cost).

This needs to be factored into your overall budget. The University is not able to act as a guarantor for any students.


If you are securing family accommodation, you will need secure this accommodation before you can apply for local schools in the area. You can apply for schools through the Council website.

Please be aware, that your school may not be close to your accommodation and therefore you will need to factor in transport costs as well. There are very good public transport links in Gloucestershire – for further information, visit Gloucestershire County Council.

TEMPORARY accommodation

With the exception of the above, the University does not provide temporary accommodation. Therefore, this is something you would need to search for externally. If you would like a list of external temporary accommodation options, please email the Housing Support Team.

See the video presentation below for further information on accommodation options:


Your checklist when considering bringing your family:

Contact Accommodation

There is a lot to consider when bringing a family to the area.  If you would like to discuss this further with a member of the team, either in person, on the phone or via a Teams Call, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will arrange a time with a member of staff.

Please use the contact details below to get in touch and we will respond just as soon as we can.

Housing Support Team

For assistance with queries about private sector housing:

Sharon Joynes
Housing Support Adviser
Phone: 01242 714533

Joey Bowden
Housing Support & Community Manager
Phone: 01242 715322

Accommodation team

Phone: 01242 714544

Was this article helpful?