Skip to content

International students

Requesting a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Last updated: 13 September 2023

What is a CAS?

CAS stands for ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’. This is a secure electronic record, generated by the University and shared with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). It contains detailed information about you, your course of study and your fees, and has a unique reference number. Once a CAS has been generated, you will ordinarily be emailed a statement of the relevant information (known as a ‘CAS Statement’), which you will need when completing your online visa application form. If a visa application is submitted before a corresponding CAS has been generated, it will be refused by UKVI.

How do I request a CAS?

The University of Gloucestershire uses CAS Shield, an online self-service system that enables you to provide all the relevant information required by us to issue your CAS. All offer holders will automatically receive an invitation to CAS Shield, allowing you to login and complete your CAS request. Please check your email spam and junk folders if you do not receive this email once eligible, the email subject will be titled “Welcome to CAS Shield”.

Your personal details on CAS Shield will be prepopulated with the information you provided on your initial application, please make sure to check this information is accurate and up-to-date. Through CAS Shield you will be asked to submit details of your immigration history and to upload supporting documentation, you may also be asked to complete a short video interview. Once all sections of the CAS Shield form are complete, all documents have been uploaded, and we have received your advance tuition fee payment, we will then begin processing your request and assessing your eligibility for a CAS.

In cases where a chargeback of any payments is initiated after a CAS has been issued, the University will immediately withdraw the CAS and its visa sponsorship. This behaviour is considered to be deceptive, and seriously undermines student credibility.

For information on the financial requirements to be met when submitting your CAS request, please visit the Student Route financial requirements page.

Please note, if you have a complicated immigration history and are uncertain as to whether you will be eligible to receive a CAS, you should initially submit your CAS Shield information without making an advance tuition fee payment, and contact to detail your circumstances. Once your eligibility for a CAS has been confirmed, you will then be instructed to submit the advance tuition fee payment. Please ensure you apply for your CAS several weeks before the deadline if this is the case, as your payment must have been received by the CAS deadline, and it will take time for us to check your documentation.

What is the latest date the university will accept a CAS request?

The latest date the university will accept a CAS request is dependent on the course start date – please see the table below for further information. By the respective date listed below, you must have firmly accepted an Unconditional Offer, completed a CAS request via CAS Shield, submitted all supporting documentation, and the University must have received your advance tuition fee payment.

CourseStandard Application
Overseas Visa Application

Doctorate in Business Administration only – January 2024 intake
13 November 2023
Overseas Visa Application

All other courses with a January 2024 start date
30 November 2023
Visa applications from within the UK

All courses
One week before course start date

Please note: Receiving an Unconditional Offer for a place on a programme does not guarantee you will receive a CAS. The University has a limited number of CAS that can be issued, so please apply early to avoid disappointment. We aim to process all complete CAS requests within five working days, once all required elements have been fulfilled.

Was this article helpful?