Discover new opportunities and passions with more than 80 acticities to choose from.
Here at UniSport, we are passionate about providing programmes to support your overall health and wellbeing that are flexible, accessible and help you to look after you.
We are building a community that can get active, contribute to improving wellbeing and exploring ideas that facilitate you doing this, your way.
Welcome to UniSport, home to a range of health and wellbeing programmes, made for you. These will cover; ways of getting active, joining recreational sessions and opportunities to support your overall health and wellbeing.
Being active doesn’t mean having to join a gym, although this is for some people, it isn’t for everyone and here we show you what more you can do. Our programmes aim to be flexible, affordable, accessible and more holistic in our approach to addressing wellbeing, mental health, physical health and everything related to looking after yourself.
Check out the opportunities available to all staff and students across the University of Gloucestershire Community:
New physical activity and wellbeing programme throughout the University community with the aim of opening up activities to explore, your way.
A combination of sport, educational workshops, mindfulness activities, wellbeing and development sessions to contribute towards your overall health and wellbeing. This features traditional team sport and competitive leagues, courses to try a new skill and activity, coach led sessions for more specific activities as well as recreational offers of trying something unconventional or brand new.
These sessions are open for you to do, your way. They’re flexible, accessible and designed to fit around you. Only have a limited time; dip into sessions marked with a “clock” – emoji. This means a session can be done for as long or as little time as you have to spare.
Equipment is provided to simply set up and do at your leisure.
Looking to develop a new skill, then look no further than our Try courses. These are designed to support you through picking up and trying out a specific activity with specialist instructors for guidance.
*subject to availability and numbers maybe limited depending on instructors
Play as part of a team or join as an individual, get involved with the league and play against others with activators to oversee games. Simply create your team and team name, sign up, pay the league entry fee and the space is yours to play*.
Don’t want to commit to every week? Then book a space through XXX and play at your leisure.
Equipment is available to hire across all campuses.
*leagues will operate with between 4-8 teams to run on a weekly basis.
Discover your local community throughout Gloucester and Cheltenham, look after yourself and contribute towards your 5 steps to well-being.
Whether it’s taking in the sights by boat, bike or by walking, we are delivering an accessible programme that offers opportunities to socialise as well as to get out and about and explore your local areas.
We are partnering up with external organisations, local facilities, interest groups as well as University programmes to deliver activities that benefit your personal health, connect to your local community and feel at one with nature.
We are open to exploring options to support you getting out and about. From working with the Sustainability team; building garden and green spaces, connecting well-being with sustainable programmes, such as Live Smart, and litter picking. To setting up walk and talks as a chance to socialise and promote physical activity to teaming up with Active Gloucestershire and local facilities for access to staff and students to get active and do it your way.
Available at all campuses, look out for Active Boxes that are to support you getting active, anywhere.
There is a range of equipment that can be used in rooms, by individuals, outside and by groups. The equipment is designed to support you with some online resources for workouts, things to do and basic rules for games that can be set up. A new way of getting active and creative with space, equipment and to support your wellbeing.
Equipment (this may vary subject to Campus Box) Football, Cones, Yoga Mat, Skipping Rope, Resistance Band, Tennis and Badminton sets, Frisbee, Table Tennis, simple rule sheets for games that can be played.
Restarting in September 2021
We will be continuing to join King’s Sport: Move Your Mind programme this year for our University community to access. Join online to take part in virtual sessions aimed at supporting your overall wellbeing and connecting ‘mind’ and ‘body’ in wellness.
Your way membership*
Book ‘Your way‘ session
*Your way membership: £30/year – access to your way programme including 1 try course.
Membership number required to book sessions that require booking.
Sessions marked in F are free, anytime, anywhere opportunities.
We are always open to ideas to develop and improve our programmes and we want to hear from you. If you have any queries, feedback or ideas, please get in touch with Yasmin Vines (Senior Sport and Physical Activity Officer), firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Formerly Get up and go)
Activities that are designed to be done anytime, anywhere, any way- whether you’ve got 15 minutes to take a break or time to explore- come and get involved in our Your Way programme.
Sign up for XXX / term for access to this whole programme:
• Dance Fitness: An Aerobic workout that incorporates many forms of dance.
• Yoga: Stretching & breathing session that will keep your mind and body relaxed.
• Circuits: Get fit but have fun while doing it. Circuits will test your aerobic fitness whilst building muscle.
• High-Intensity: Interval Training A quick and easy way to get some exercise into your schedule. It’s not as intense as it sounds and you can have great fun doing them.
• Spikeball: An adapted accessible version of Volleyball with a rebound style net, spike the ball onto the net and test your reactions. Check out How to play.
• 6-a-side: Our 6-a-side session give you a chance to turn up for 30 mins and get put into a team to play another team in a relaxed fun game environment.
• Football-Tennis: A mix of 2 popular sports. Kick the football over the tennis net between 2 or more people. Lots of fun to be had.
• Frisbee: Throw the disc in a team and hit the end zone to score – easy to pitch up and play anywhere regardless of numbers.
• Foot-Golf: Kick the football and aim to score in golf style with parr scores, change the course as you go
• Kick-Fit SU Kickboxing are running a short fitness session, so you can get changed, have a fun & intense workout, shower and return to your lives inside a lunch break! There will be no kickboxing within the session but may be some fun and interesting ways to get fit with the equipment available.
• Smite: Like Skittles but with a tubular ‘ball’, knock over the pins and stick them up wherever they land, this tactical game can take you far. Check out How to Play
• Table Tennis: using a small bat and a ball, hit and bounce the ball over the net – play indoor or outdoor, anywhere, any way.
• Zumba: Mixed dance class with movements and music linked to Latin America; vibrant, upbeat and guaranteed to move your feet.
• Walk and Talk: Find the meeting points across our Campuses, meet friends old or new, take time away from desks and work, come and take a walk around your campus and local area
• Garden Games: Equipment available across campuses to set up your own games; tenpin, kubb, smite, table tennis, frisbee- something for everyone to take a break your way.
(Formerly Into Courses)
This is your opportunity to develop a new skill in your time at University. Specialist instructors are available to guide you through a safe but fun environment. Learn with others and a chance to socialise in picking up a skill that could become a hobby or could even lead you to setting up a new society.
Courses are subject to availability and vary in duration, frequency and cost but are all designed to be a gradual learning process.
Please check back for updates for new courses.
(Formerly Get up and go)
This is an opportunity to play a sport on your own terms. Everyone is welcome, whether you have never played, never heard of the activity, or would like a refresher.
• Volleyball: All you’ve got to do is hit the ball over the net.
• Sitting Volleyball: An adaptation of volleyball, the net is lower and you have to hit the ball over from sitting on the floor.
• Football Pass: the ball around in your team & score a goal.
• Basketball: Pass, bounce, pass, bounce, bounce. Score by getting it through the hoop.
• Wheelchair Basketball: Like above expect you’re sat in a wheelchair.
• Netball: Run by our University Netball officer – enjoy learning some of the skills that go with this enjoyable game that’s all about teamwork.
• Touch Rugby: The non-contact version of rugby. If you get “tagged” you lose the ball. Anyone can play!
• Floorball: Ice hockey without the ice. Floorball is an indoor version of the game hockey, using sticks you pass the ball around & score a goal.
• Badminton: Use a racket to hit a shuttlecock back and forth over a net- designed to be played indoors
• Tennis: Use a racket to hit a ball over a net back and forth – designed to play outdoors