Get involved, discover new opportunities and push yourself to achieve your goals.
Here at UniSport, we are passionate about providing programmes to support your overall health and wellbeing that are flexible, accessible and help you to look after you.
We are building a community that can get active, contribute to improving wellbeing and exploring ideas that facilitate you doing this, your way.
Welcome to UniSport, home to a range of health and wellbeing programmes, made for you. These will cover; ways of getting active, joining recreational sessions and opportunities to support your overall health and wellbeing.
Being active doesn’t mean having to join a gym, although this is for some people, it isn’t for everyone and here we show you what more you can do. Our programmes aim to be flexible, affordable, accessible and more holistic in our approach to addressing wellbeing, mental health, physical health and everything related to looking after yourself.
Check out the opportunities available to all students and staff across the University of Gloucestershire community.
‘Your way’ is a free physical activity and wellbeing programme throughout the University community with the aim of opening up activities to explore, your way.
A combination of sport, educational workshops, mindfulness activities, wellbeing and development sessions to contribute towards your overall health and wellbeing. This features traditional team sport and competitive leagues, courses to try a new skill and activity, coach-led sessions for more specific activities as well as recreational offers of trying something unconventional or brand new.
Below is a range of activities available on the programme.
Activities that are designed to be done anytime, anywhere, any way- whether you’ve got 15 minutes to take a break or time to explore – come and get involved in our Your Way programme. Everyone is welcome, whether you have never played, never heard of the activity, or would like a refresher.
Group sessions identified on our ‘Your way’ programme will have instructors and activators to facilitate and deliver the activities whilst others we have provided the equipment for across campuses for you to have a go in your own time.
• Badminton: Use a racket to hit a shuttlecock back and forth over a net- designed to be played indoors or try outdoors with our Active Box equipment or join us for a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme
• Basketball: Pass, bounce, pass, bounce, bounce. Score by getting it through the hoop, try out with a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme, use our Active Box equipment and make use of the Multi-Use Games Areas at Park and Pittville or play your way.
• Bootcamp Circuits: Get fit but have fun while doing it. These will test your aerobic fitness whilst building muscle. Try our group session at Oxstalls in our ‘Your way’ programme.
• Football: From a casual kick around with friends to joining football 5-a-side on campus, lots of fun to be had and something that can be done with the equipment in our Active Box or organised with our drop-in sessions.
• Korfball: non-contact mixed gender (four men and four women in a team) sport. It’s similar to both basketball and netball: there are no set positions and everyone has to attack and defend with teams switching sides to shoot in a ‘korf’. Try out with a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme
• Frisbee: Throw the disc in a team and hit the end zone to score – easy to pitch up and play anywhere regardless of numbers.
• Garden Games: Equipment available across campuses to set up your own games; tenpin, kubb, smite, table tennis, frisbee- something for everyone to take a break your way. Check the equipment in our Active Box and create your own.
• Move Your Mind: we have teamed up with Kings Sport to deliver a programme of online activities to support your well-being. These range from Journaling and Mindfulness workshops, to Yoga and Pilates to short body circuit sessions. Find out more in our ‘Your way’ programme.
• Netball: traditionally a 7-a-side sport with set positions to shoot, pass through court or defend, enjoy learning some of the skills that go with this enjoyable game that’s all about teamwork. Try out with a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme.
• Open Play: spaces booked for open use of equipment, get creative and enjoy the space and freedom to get active.
• Padel: mix between Tennis and Squash. It’s usually played in doubles on an enclosed court surrounded by walls of glass and metallic mash.
• Rugby : We have developed an introduction to rugby programme to learn the basic principles for Rugby League and Union in a non-contact environment with our activator student-led programme that is designed for all. Try out with a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme.
• Spikeball: An adapted accessible version of Volleyball with a rebound style net, spike the ball onto the net and test your reactions.
• Squash: a fast-moving racket sport. It can be played with two people in a singles match and four people in a doubles contest. The game is played within a four-walled court, with a small, hollow rubber ball. Both players are also equipped with squash rackets.
• Swim: Take a trip to the local swimming pool (GL1 in Gloucester or Leisure@ in Cheltenham) or take a dive outside into Sandford Lido (Cheltenham) with student concession entries.
• Table Tennis: using a small bat and a ball, hit and bounce the ball over the net – play indoor or outdoor, anywhere, any way. We have regular sessions across our campuses as well as new extendable table nets to play anywhere. Check out our Active Box equipment.
• Tennis: Use a racket to hit a ball over a net back and forth – designed to play indoors and outdoors. Join us for a group session at Oxstalls Tennis Centre, a casual hit around at Park Campus Multi-Use Games Area or in your own space with our Active Box equipment
• Volleyball: All you’ve got to do is hit the ball over the net. Join us for sessions in Oxstalls Sports Hall.
• Wheelchair Basketball: Like above except you’re sat in a wheelchair.
• Walk and Talk: Find the meeting points across our Campuses, meet friends old or new, take time away from desks and work, come and take a walk around your campus and local area.
• Yoga: Stretching & breathing session that will keep your mind and body relaxed.
• Zumba: Mixed dance class with movements and music linked to Latin America; vibrant, upbeat and guaranteed to move your feet. Join us for a group session in our ‘Your way’ programme.
Available at all campuses, look out for Active Boxes that are to support you getting active, anywhere.
There is a range of equipment that can be used in rooms, by individuals, outside and by groups. The equipment is designed to support you with some online resources for workouts, things to do and basic rules for games that can be set up. A new way of getting active and creative with space, equipment and to support your wellbeing.
Equipment (this may vary subject to Campus Box) Football, Cones, Yoga Mat, Skipping Rope, Resistance Band, Tennis and Badminton sets, Frisbee, Table Tennis, simple rule sheets for games that can be played.
Discover your local community throughout Gloucester and Cheltenham, look after yourself and contribute towards your 5 steps to well-being.
Whether it’s taking in the sights by boat, bike or by walking, we are delivering an accessible programme that offers opportunities to socialise as well as to get out and about and explore your local areas.
We are partnering up with external organisations, local facilities, interest groups as well as University programmes to deliver activities that benefit your personal health, connect to your local community and feel at one with nature.
We are open to exploring options to support you getting out and about. From working with the Sustainability team; building garden and green spaces, connecting well-being with sustainable programmes, such as Live Smart, and litter picking. To setting up walk and talks as a chance to socialise and promote physical activity to teaming up with Active Gloucestershire and local facilities for access to staff and students to get active and do it your way.
We are always open to ideas to develop and improve our programmes and we want to hear from you. If you have any queries, feedback or ideas, please get in touch with Yasmin Vines (Senior Sport and Physical Activity Officer), email@example.com.