This course has now closed for 2016 entry. Register your interest for 2017 or Apply via Schools Direct route
Rated Outstanding by Ofsted in 2015
Teaching is a challenging, rewarding and fascinating career within education. The PGCE Primary Teacher Training course aims to prepare you for entry into the teaching profession through developing your expertise in teaching children aged either three to seven years or five to eleven years. There are two possible awards: Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Certificate in Education, depending on attainment in the academic aspects of the course. Both awards include Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Ofsted says about the course:
‘The outcomes for trainees are outstanding’
We have an ‘Outstanding reputation for providing the quality and type of teachers that schools in the area need and want’
We provide 'Thoughtfully designed, innovative training provided by the university in liaison with partner schools'
You will 'Gain deeper understanding about how children learn, behave and develop'
We have an 'Impressive range of teaching methods, strategies and approaches'
The PGCE course is planned and taught in partnership with a range of primary schools and early years settings. During the course, you will be placed in at least two different schools, as well as engaging in taught lecture and seminars. In all school placements, you will work alongside experienced teachers to develop your understanding of how to promote learning and a love of learning with your class.
In preparing you to meet the Teachers' Standards, and therefore be recommended for Qualified Teacher Status, this course offers you the opportunity to develop your knowledge, skills and professionalism within a supportive learning environment.
- All elements of the course must be completed satisfactorily.
- School placements are jointly assessed by staff within schools and university link tutors, through observation of teaching and scrutiny of other evidence
- The Professional Studies module and the Core Subject Strength modules are assessed through written assignments.
- You will need at least a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent preferably in a subject that is relevant to the primary school curriculum
- You will need a minimum grade C in English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject at GCSE
- You will need to be able to demonstrate evidence of successful experience in a primary classroom setting (a minimum of ten full days is advised)
- Successful completion of the literacy and numeracy professional skills test
- In addition to the above successful applicants will be required to complete two weeks of school experience in a primary school before commencing the PGCE course
- International students need IELTS 6.5 overall (no less than 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in any other band) or equivalent
- School Direct PGCE route: This scheme offers an unsalaried placement within a school, with training provided jointly by the school and the University of Gloucestershire. Once qualified, trainees often go on to teach in the same school or another within the partnership. This training programme is also full-time, for one academic year. Please view our postgraduate funding page for more information.
Please note that all applications for PGCE programmes are submitted through UCAS.
|Fees - 2017/18 Academic Year
|Home and EU Students
Subject to parliamentary approval
The fee displayed is the total course fee for full or part-time study. Fees can be paid in instalments over the duration of study with further details available in our tuition fee policy.
|UCAS codes available for this subject|
|Single Honours - 1 year full-time|
Teacher Training PGCE 5-11
|Single Honours - 1 year full-time|
Teacher Training PGCE 3-7
- Primary school teaching, which may lead to and include subject leadership and the opportunity to progress to roles within the Senior Leadership Team of a school.
- You can continue your study to achieve a graduate diploma or MEd