Equality and diversity
We are committed to being a community in which equality of opportunity is a reality for all applicants, students, staff, prospective staff and students, and Council.
In addition to building a sense of community within the university, we are supporting positive links with local communities.
Our Equality and Diversity policy requires staff and students to behave in a non-discriminatory manner and treat each other with respect.
It sets out how the University of Gloucestershire is creating a positive environment in which students and staff are valued for their diverse contributions and provided with development and progression opportunities to reach their full potential.
We are developing an inclusive culture, free from discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
At the University of Gloucestershire you are guaranteed commitment to a quality student and staff experience, which supports equality and diversity and builds a strong sense of community within the university, as well as supporting our positive links in the local community.
The university’s equality objectives have been established following analysis of published data, identification of outstanding actions from previous equality schemes and consultation with key stakeholders.
The equality objectives are our statements of intent to develop beyond our legal requirements. They are in line with the University of Gloucestershire’s identified values and help to frame the individual actions to improve the experience of students and staff.
View our achievements against priorities by year:
We offer a range of support services for students:
- Student Services Department, Student Achievement Team and Helpzones on each campus
- Chaplaincy, supporting students from all faiths or none
- The Disability, Dyslexia and Learning Support Service
- 24hr support with mental health and wellbeing via togetherall
- Dedicated induction events for mature students
- Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic + Network
- The Students’ Union (SU)
- The LGBT+ Society
- Dignity Advisers provide confidential support/advice
We also offer a range of support services for staff:
- Dedicated Dignity Advisers offer confidential support and advice
- Occupational health (university staff only)
- Employee Assistance Programme via Validium
- Support for mental health and wellbeing
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic + Network
- Women’s Network
- Chaplaincy Team
Equality and diversity data
We are keen to collect as much equality data as we can, enabling us to build a rich picture of both our students and staff.
We make use of this data to improve student and staff experiences, to inform our equality impact assessments, to influence recruitment practices for students and staff and measure the impact and progress of our activities.
*This data is collated from the information available on the protected characteristics of students and staff at the University of Gloucestershire. The university has plans to increase the breadth of data published in future years increasing the range of information relating to other protected characteristics.