Student Support

Law student working on a laptop.

​​​​​​​To make your move to university as easy as possible, and to help you get the most out of your student experience, we offer a range of services, information and support.

Support is always on hand from our outstanding student support teams who offer 1-to-1, confidential advice whenever you need it.

​​​We offer a range of services, information and support

​Student Services Helpzones
Your first port of call for information on all aspects of student life. ​​Contact the Helpzones.​​​​​​​
Libraries & IT
Open 7 days a week with 24hr computer access during term time. Find out more.
Disability, dyslexia & learning support
Confidential and expert support service for students with disabilities or learning difficulties. Find out more.
Study support
Our Student Achievement Team will help you achieve your grades, with 1-to-1 appointments and workshops.​ Find out more​.​
Our trained counsellors are available to help you manage any concerns. Find out more.
Money advice
Here to help guide​ you through your options, whatever your situation. Find out more.
​Mental health & wellbeing
From 1-to-1 sessions to group workshops, there are plenty of resources available to support you. Find out more.
Here for students of all faiths or none. Each campus has a welcoming Faith Space. Find out more.

Information for parents and carers

We understand that you want your child or young person to achieve their best and fulfil their potential at university which is why we are committed to providing a supportive and positive environment for all. The services outlined on this page are in place to support students should they face any challenges while they're here. The university also works closely with a number of local and statutory services where necessary and appropriate to provide a wider support network.

Student Services colleagues who facilitate many of our support services communicate closely with each other (within the bounds of confidentiality) to provide comprehensive and holistic support for students facing personal or academic difficulties.

We have more advice for parents and carers here.

Contacting the university

UK data protection legislation and university policy prohibit the disclosure of an individual's information to a third party. This means that staff members at the university are unable to give any information about a student currently studying at the university to a third party. In this instance a third party would include parents, carers, family members, friends etc. All universities in the UK follow similar guidelines and are bound by the same legislation.

Information that staff are not be able to share includes a student's academic progress, wellbeing, or attendance, for example. For this reason, we encourage parents and students to keep in regular contact regarding these and similar topics.

In certain exceptional circumstances and with the student's written consent, we may communicate with a third party if the university deems it to be in the interests of those concerned.

What to do if you have concerns

If you have concerns about your son or daughter, in the first instance you should encourage them to contact Student Services.

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of your child or young person, you can make contact with the university by calling Student Services via our Helpzone Service on 01242 714444 or by email at

We will take details of the student in question, contact them on your behalf to let them know that you have contacted us, and ask them to get in touch with you.

The onus will be on the student to contact the person who raised the original concern and staff will not generally get back in touch with them.

While staff cannot talk to you about your child or young person, they are able to listen to your concerns and give generic advice and information where appropriate.

In an emergency

If an emergency takes place on campus, appropriate staff will contact next of kin (without the student's permission), if it is deemed appropriate. This would normally be on the advice of emergency services.

In summary

The university takes the pastoral care of students very seriously, but it does not have parental responsibility and can only offer support if approached by the student. In cases where the student is thought to be at risk, appropriate action will be taken by those concerned. Please note that this is rare.

Who do you contact?

For any query, contact the Helpzone on your campus.

Francis Close Hall  
01242 714444 ext 1

01242 714444 ext 2


01242 714444 ext 3