Skip to content
Chevron pattern Chevron alternate pattern


Applying for a Student visa outside the UK

Last updated: 16 February 2021

STEP 1: Familiarise yourself with the application process and guidance

Visit the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Student visa website where you should find everything you need to know about the visa application process. There are also links to a number of important documents, including the full Policy Guidance for caseworkers.

Read through the web pages carefully, as they contain a lot of very detailed information about how to apply and what documents you need to provide. It is very important that you submit all the documents required. For a full list of required documents, including information about the acceptable document formats, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

STEP 2: Request a CAS

If you are applying for a new course of study at the university, you will have been instructed to request a CAS as part of the admission process. If you are continuing on a course you have already started, please our page about requesting a CAS.

STEP 3: Complete the online application process and book an appointment at your nearest Visa Application Centre

Unless you are from Cuba, Zimbabwe or North Korea, you will need to submit your application online.

If you wish to submit your visa application via a premium route, please check that such an option is available by contacting the relevant Visa Application Centre direct. You’ll need to find the opening times, address and contact details for UK Visa Application Centres near you.

When you come to confirm your BRP Collection Location, please be sure to enter the university’s unique code – 2HE862 – in the ‘Alternative Location’ field. This will ensure your BRP is delivered to the university (rather than a
local Post Office) in advance of your arrival.

STEP 4: Attend your appointment and submit your documents

At the appointment you will need to:

STEP 5: Receive and check your visa

You will initially be issued with a vignette (sticker) in your passport that is valid for a 30 day period starting on your proposed date of travel. You will also be issued with a letter detailing your full grant of leave, and explaining
that you need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of arriving in the UK. It is important that you check all the information in this letter is correct. In particular, you should check:

If any of these details are incorrect, you should attempt to get them corrected before travelling to the UK.

Need more help?

If you have further questions about applying for your visa, you may find they are covered in our Frequently Asked Questions. For anything else, please email

Was this article helpful?