Skip to content

Private housing guide


Page 11 of 13

Contents insurance

It is important you take out contents insurance when moving into rented accommodation. Your landlord will insure the property and the contents they provide but not your personal belongings.

If you have previously lived at home with parents or guardians, it is worth seeing if your belongings can be covered under this insurance, however, check the policy carefully.

If you need to take out your own insurance, there are several companies that will offer cover. Again, check the policy carefully as to what is and isn’t included and whether you are covered for more expensive items, when both in the property and out.

Arrow Icon
Arrow Icon