Visas and immigration

​​​​​​​​​​​​There is a lot of information you’ll need to know before you leave home. For example, how to apply for your visa, how to enrol, how to pay your tuition fees and how to apply as an Erasmus or Associate student.

​Key documents:
Brexit update - February 2020
International admission and Tier 4 sponsorship policy

Visas and immigration

Find everything you need to know about visas and immigration. We can advise you on Tier 4 visas, Student Visitor visas, General Visitor visa, registering with the police, working during your studies, working after your studies and reporting changes of circumstances to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).​

If you can’t find the information you need below, contact us for more information.

Tier 4 visa applications

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) operates a points based immigration system, commonly referred to as “PBS”. This system has five visa categories, or “tiers”, and the student category is called “Tier 4”. Students studying courses of more than six months (or Pre-sessional courses) should apply for a visa under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.

Key documents

Request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Applying for a Tier 4 visa outside the UK
Applying for a Tier 4 visa – frequently asked questions (out of country applicants)
Applying for a Tier 4 visa inside the UK
Applying for a Tier 4 visa – frequently asked questions (inside the country applicants)
Tier 4 financial requirements
Visa and immigration guide for students
English Language Entry Requirements
English Language Policy​

Short-term study visa applications

Students who are coming to study a course of less than six months, or an in-country component of a distance-learning course, may be able to apply for a short-term study visa.

For further information, please see the key document below.

Key documents

Applying for a short-term study visa 
Short-term study letter request form 
Short-term students' frequently asked questions

Standard visitor visa applications

The university does not generally permit any student to study while on a standard visitor visa. A standard visitor visa will, however, be appropriate for students who have completed their course, and who wish to return to the UK to attend a graduation ceremony.

The category of Standard Visitor will also be appropriate for family members and friends who wish to visit a Tier 4 student while they are in the UK. 

Key documents

Applying for a standard visitor visa to attend graduation
Inviting family members and friends to visit
Letter of Invitation sample

Contact us

By phone everyday 9:30am – 4:30pm
01242 714518

Download the Visa Advice Service's Code of Practice